Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2011 * Twinkle Lake Access Question < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, February 9, 2011 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm intrigued by the idea of beginning a trip from Twinkle Lake. Is there room to safely leave a vehicle there? Google Maps seems to show there is...

Thanks to everyone for posting info on the Pinetorch, Ames, Yorston area. A couple of years ago I did a loop from the Montreal River thru Smoothwater and down the South Lady Evelyn to Florence and then west thru Solace to Reagan and back to the beginning. I love the thought of not having to spend hours driving up to Elk Lake and catching Hwy 560 to Beauty Lake Rd.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1290

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 9:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, there is room to park. On the map, it is the same location where the double campsite triangles are.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 250

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

While Twinkle is a great place to start a trip, especially for those who have been to all the "usual" spots, I doubt that it saves any time getting to Florence. Twinkle-Pinetorch-Lewbert-Florence has got to be one of the most challenging routes you can pick in Temagami
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'd agree with Curly that access at Twinkle isn't a short-cut to Florence. We spent 3 1/2 days traveling between Twinkle & Florence. Starting at Gamble, you can be on Florence your second day.
As far as effort goes, Twinkle to Florence is an ungodly grunt, especially at the beginning of a trip when you're carrying a full food load. From Gamble to Florence you don't have to carry once!

DoubleBend

(Message edited by DoubleBend on February 15, 2011)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 936

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Twinkle lets you get into the centre of Pinetorch.But as a route to Florence it would be arduous.
Also, Gamble to Florence can be done in a hard day if you were starting early from Gamble. Might be faster if you were able to crossover from Lady Evelyn N Branch to S Branch via Dees Lake. Does anyone know if this crossover is still open?
 Link to this message

dock

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Last spring I took the Lakeland crossover and beat my amigos to Florence.

It was an absoulutely gorgeous day without a puff of wind and you would not believe the stench and appearance of these 3 hardy trippers as they pulled into the campsite on Florence after leaving from Lewbert that a.m.

One was so beat up we had to fly him out!
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 252

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fun times!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 937

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 7:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Dock:
You need to associate with better tripping partners.Ones that are more robust and don't mind taking a bath in the cold water.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 8:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

what is the drive to twinkle like & is it doable in a non-4wd?
 Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was thinking more along the lines of paddling via Linger, Seagram, and Long Lakes and spending the first night at Talking Falls; continuing thru Mudchannel to Bluesucker and heading west to Solace, and crossing over to Reagan. And then heading north and catching the South Lady Evelyn River to Florence.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 938

Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 8:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gunney:
I think you will need more than 1 day to go from Twinkle to Talking Falls.There are a fair number of portages to contend with.

grncnu:
Last year a 2WD truck could have made it, and some awd cars were able to get through. A good part of the road had been recently upgraded by one of the local logging companies in preparation for forestry operations.If you aren't planning to go in the very early Spring, then ask your question again maybe in June and see if someone has been up there and will advise on the condition of the road.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed: regarding the Deese Lake shortcut. I've located the start of the portage between N Lady E R and Deese. Haven't followed it all the way, but it appears to follow an old road rather than the alignment shown on Craig's map. Back when one could drive to the south bridge, the trail was visible on both sides of the road just after crossing the north bridge.

I've searched many times for the trail between S Lady E R and Deese from the SLER end without success. Craig's map shows it terminating around the big bend just below what I call White Rock rapids; the only rapid between Florence River and the junction of N and S Lady E R.

My guess is this one will have to be searched out from the Deese Lake end.

Dock: What's the 'Lakeland' crossover?

DoubleBend
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 940

Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Last question first: Doc(k) flew into Florence via Lakeland Airways (lakeland crossover) and met his tripping partners there.

Several years ago I was doing an early Spring trip down the LER after staying at Gamble.I tried to locate the portage into Dees from the river, but could not see where it was. It was also snowing that day and was not a day to hang around too long looking for a portage. I had often thought after that I should have stopped at the bridge and did what you did.... walk down the road to try to locate it. I have not been able to find it from the SLER either. There is a campsite close to where it might come out and I have stayed there at times , but I have still been unable to find it. If someone goes that way with a maping GPS it should be easy to locate yourself on the river more precisely and know where to start looking seriously.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 942

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 7:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was going to add that a crossover through Dees Lake would be a great addition for travelling to Florence from the North. When going upstream on the SLER, the current is pretty strong in the Spring.
 Link to this message

dock

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 2:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Lakeland Crossover starts in the village of Temagami. You border a Beaver aircraft with a ncie guy named Daren at the controls and pretty much go where you want.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home