Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2011 * Wakimika River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

oldboyscout

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 1:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello!!
I'm looking to come to Temagami for my first time in the fall and the general plan is to fly into Suckergut lake, loop up into Lady Evelyn, down through Diamond and Wakimika into Obabika and then through Obabika inlet, the northwest arm and back to Temagami. I've (we've) done some trips through Algonquin so we're not novices. My main concern is water levels and travel time down the Wakimika river. Should we plan for a full day of travel down this river? Any useful information would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 941

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 7:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Less than 2 hours of travel time should get you down the Wakimika River.There may be a few small beaver dams to negotiate, but the water levels should be adequate for canoes throughout the Season.

Is this one of your scouts asking the questions in this thread?
http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/34092. html?1297962191
 Link to this message

oldboyscout

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No. I just took on the name because it's where I found my love of the wilderness when I was young. We were inner city kids who never ventured out of the city until our scout troop leader took us to Algonquin. It's newly discovered after raising a family and living in the city all my life.
Thanks so much for the info; it looks like a long winding river on the map. It's good to know the travel time is so short. Leaves more time for trail hiking, fishing or just relaxing!!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 945

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you go into Sucker Gut and have the time, you could paddle north to Hobart and Turner Lakes and hike up Maple Mountain. While passing through Obabika, go over to the trail head in the NE corner and hike the old growth trails.
 Link to this message

oldboyscout

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks!! That is part of the plan; highest point in Ontario right?!?!
Gotta say these forums are very helpful. Thanks for taking the time!!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 947

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 7:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here is a link to Maple Mountain: http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/maple-mou ntain.htm
and to the Old Growth Trails off Obabika Lake:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/waki-tri. htm
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 291

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

oldboyscout.. Maple Mtn is not the highest point in Ontario... but it is a hell of a view none the less.
 Link to this message

oldboyscout

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed; thanks for the links!!

Irishfield; I stand corrected, but. . . what is?
 Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 2:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Isphatina Ridge is Ontario's highest point

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/ishpatina .htm
 Link to this message

oldboyscout

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well I'm pretty sure we're going to hike up Maple Mtn. as we've decided to spend the first two days at Suckergut. I think I'll pack a lunch though it looks like quite the hike. But it'll be worth it for the view!!!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 958

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You might want to consider camping in Hobart for the night. The trip up to Maple Mountain is about 2-2 1/2 hours, if I recall correctly and you may want to stay there for a while to have lunch etc.
 Link to this message

oldboyscout

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 2:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We'll discuss that; thanks!!
I suppose we could bug out for Diamond lake the next day. I have a MNR planning map and it lists no portages from Suckergut to Hobart and indeed all the way to Tupper lake. I also noticed none listed until Willow Island lake heading south. Would you recommend that route as opposed to going north and through the southern half of Lady Evelyn. Looks like it could get windy on that lake; it looks fairly large and open.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 960

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There may be a short portage into Hobart, if the water is low, but most times you can just walk your canoe along leaving it in the water.

I wouldn't do the long portage at the south end of Willow Island that goes directly into Diamond.It is not as long as is stated on the MNR map, but it is still pretty long and obnoxious.I would cross over from the north end of Willow Island Lake across 2 shorter portages into Lady Evelyn Lake and go south into Diamond, Wakimika Obabika etc.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 283

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It is quicker to pike the 2 mile portage, just saying.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home