Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2011 * Spring trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 7:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Folks. I need to plan a ten day trip for two groups of eight students each in Temagami. We are planning to leave around June 1st of this year.
These are relatively fit 18 year-olds, not experienced at all, but just did a successful four day winter camping trip in Algonquin, so they are capable of tripping. Maybe lacking in the enthusiasm department is the best way to put it.

So, two routes starting from the same access point and picking up either together or, atleast on the way back. The school bus is the single biggest expense for these trips.$1,300.00 to drive a bus from Meaford up to Sunday Lake and have it return at another date to pick up.
I am sure the bus company is not the problem, it is just that budget is so limited..But I digress.
So the routes can pass each other, but they do not have to. My biggest concern, quite frankly, are the portages on the North and South Channels of the Lady Evelyn River. I consider them to be amongst the crown jewels of the park location-wise, but I find those portages potentially deadly, moreso than others. Particularly, the south branch.
I think Maple Mountain is a must for both groups, so there is also that to possibly factor in. I invite any and all suggestions, maybe someone has done exactly this type of thing before and knows the perfect combination. anyway, thanks in advance.

(Message edited by fireman on February 28, 2011)
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

how about starting at mowat landing, one group goes m. mountain- n. lady evelyn- grays- makobe- elk lake- mowat, the other goes montreal r.- anima nippissing- red squirrel- temagami- obabika- wakimika- diamond- willow island- sucker gut- m. mountain- mowat?
another possibility would be mowat- maple mountain- anvil, skull, mendelsohn but this is more like 6 days, or maybe 8 if you start and leave from elk lake.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1302

Posted on Tuesday, March 1, 2011 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not sure the Trout Streams are the best place for an inexperienced group lacking enthusiasm. It may be a jewel but the portaging is challenging.
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 105

Posted on Tuesday, March 1, 2011 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Heres an option:

Start at Sandy Inlet on Lake T.

One group heads west accross the Cantons, to Obabika and up the Wakimika - Diamond - Lady to Maple Mtn.

The other goes northwest to Diamond and Lady - Maple Mtn and returning to Diamond - Wakimika - Obabaika - Cantons etc.

Start at the sample place, do the loops in opposite directions, pass somewhere along the way. Might give the kids a bit of a competetive kick. Simplifies logistics.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, March 1, 2011 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ahh Brian, where is your optimism? I know what you mean. As to chris' reccommendation, that is kind of what I am thinking but without the LER section, too short, maybe.
personally, I do not like the Mowat Landing put-in as I find the paddle down to the Narrows a little exposed and tedious. Maybe i am being a snob?
the other thing I thought was starting down in the Chiniguchi, but that is a different trip, altogether. Need more feedback, guys.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, March 1, 2011 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

how about this: one group leaves matagamasi, goes wolf- dougherty- sturgeon- manitou- wawiashkashi- gull- temagami- diamond- m. mountain- mowat.
other group goes mowat- m. mountain- willow island- diamond- temagami- temagami river- sturgeon- murrays creek- maskinonge- matagamasi?
obviously the caveat with these trips would be water levels on the sturgeon and temagami, especially in spring- many of the rapids would have to be portaged! it would be a better option if water levels were low to moderate, probably too dangerous for novices in a high water year.
also the trips would have to be offset by 1/2 a day to allow for transport...
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - 7:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mr. Green Canoe, I commend you are your passion for this. The Matagamasi route is a real possibility. It is possible for two groups to leave there and go on either side of the lake. One through Wolf, one through Laura...And it is the closer put in. Although at this point, I think we can manage the transport with private vans rather than a school bus.
Definitely, the Wolf Lake route has the jewels to spark their interest. Travelling all the way around is not worth the effort. The other leaders are not as familiar with the Sturgeon and its off-shoots, so I have to consider that.
Still working on it but, seriously, thanks for the input. Cheers.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1303

Posted on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - 8:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fireman, on a Chiniguchi option you could round down Laura Creek instead of down the Sturgeon, then continue down Chiniguchi River to Maskinonge or even through Donald to Maskinonge. If you needed more time, you could continue to the landing on Washagami Lake.

Now if you are still committed to Maple Mountain, you could paddle from the Temagami Access Road landing (there will be few boats on the lake on June 1) and paddle up to Maple Mt, then do a side trip to camp a night at Centre Falls. Then continue to the two portages betweewn Willow Island and Lady Evelyn, Diamond, Wakimika, Obabika (visit Alex and old growth) and the Lake Temagami landing.

I do not lack enthusiasm. I just don't want to hear that a group of kids mutinied on the Trout Streams against a brutal trip leader.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - 9:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well, four years in the military has left a certain attitute when it comes to leading 18 yera-olds....
I like the ideas you present, I have only traversed the central part of Lake Temagami once before and that was in a fairly stiff chop with maybe two foot waves, so I am a little nervous about taking over big water. That is why I like Ferguson Bay as a start point.
The first time I was ever up on the North Channel we came across a group of young teenage boys, sitting on massive plywood wanigans in the middle of the portage trail, sniffling with red eyes and a kicked puppy look on their faces. So, you are right in your fears.
You should know that the OTHER high school in our areas does the Diamond Lake Death March and the teacher insists that they schlepp along a 14 foot kayak so they can each practice kayaking during the day, as well.
I am trying to avoid the boggy portages, alhtough the one south of Bob Lake is unavoidable, if I go that way.
I am thinking the two groups could split up after Sharp Rock, one going south to Obabika via Bob and up through Wakimika and then on up to Maple Mountain via the cross-over into Willow Island. Maybe just going in to Center Falls to camp on the way back. The other group could do the reverse. The groups would probably meet on Diamond somewhere. Hard to gauge what a realistic pace is for these guys. Lots of light and I am on the water by nine a.m. most days, so time is not the issue.
Having said all that, in the good old days, wasn't the whole idea to take the students out there and work them like used mules???
Sometimes I wonder if I am being too considerate??
My biggest concern is large sections of open, cold, windy paddles where a capsize is a serious weather related issue.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 158

Posted on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You'll get winds on any large lake so just be windbound until it blows over.
I would stay away from Matagamasi due to severe south wind possibility. LE, Obabika and Temagami can get bad too, so take your pick.
If they have no experience, I would stay away from running water (rapids, not just easy current).
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 106

Posted on Thursday, March 3, 2011 - 8:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thats pretty much the trip I had in in mind...

Wind is not necessarily a bad thing in June, as you'll probably want camp on points/islands on lakes to keep the bug factor in check.

Travelling with wind is another matter, where good decisions and extra time are required.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home