Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2011 * Sturgeon river solo < Previous Next >

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - 4:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum, though I have been reading it for a while. I'm planning a 8-9 day solo trip in July down the Sturgeon from Scarecrow to the Lower Obabika, taking out at Wawiagama lake access. It will be my first time in Temagami. The plan is to fly to Scarecrow, spend a day there hiking Ishpatina and then descend the Sturgeon river, planning on going slowly, may be 5-6 hours a day with no layovers. I expect to paddle all C1 and some C2 rapids, depending on the flow. Do you think it's reasonable for 7 days of paddling? And expecting the Obabika river to be in average state for July is it passable for a solo paddler upstream?
Sergey
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 963

Posted on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

eddy-turn:
That timing should be OK. You can get down the Sturgeon from Scarecrow in about 3 days to Obabika River. The paddle upstream on Obabika River from the campsite located a bit above the Falls on the river is about 3-4hours. It is a slow paddle for that distance with maybe 1 or 2 short portages around log jams. The trip up the Wawiagama River(Creek) is about an hour and a bit.
You should have lot's of time to do this trip
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

agree with all above. my one additional 2 cents is that the wawiagama r., which as ed says is really a tiny creek, can become a tiny trickle depending on beaver activity.
first time i did it, it was like ed says, a pretty easy hour and a half. the second time it was a 3-4 hour drag up something that resembled a wheel-rut with about 2 inches of water, all due to a big beaver dam close to the lake!
since this is your last day i would suggest you leave ample time just in case those beavers have been busy...
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, March 3, 2011 - 7:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, ed and grncnu, it's very helpful. I'll definitely do some rerouting, may be through Rawson and Marjorie to Matagamasi, to add few days and lakes to my trip.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, March 3, 2011 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

you could add a day simply by flying in to smoothwater instead of scarecrow.
smoothwater lake is one of the classic spots in temagami.
in july, you might just decide to hang out on the beach for a day!
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, March 4, 2011 - 9:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Right, I'll probably go for it. And I can add a day taking a loop through Stouffer and Parsons to Pilgrim junction. It's a huge mental change after Algonquin - to be able to vary your route at will. Though I often do it in Algonquin in June, in July it could be risky.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home