Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Temagami River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

kim_mccutcheon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 2:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm trying to plan a novice whitewater trip for 11 people(including 5 children ages 11-17) for 5 days in early August. Last summer we did the Spanish River. We would like to try the Temagami River from Lake Temagami to River Valley . Would this be a similar trip? Are the campsites large enough for 3 tents? Is the river crowded at this time of year? I have been unable to find a copy of Hap Wilson's Temagami book. Thank you.
 Link to this message

bateaux

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 3:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dear kim,

The Temagami section you describe is actually two quite distinct sections of river, Cross Lake - Red Ceder lake, and Red Ceder - River Valley.

The upper section from Cross Lake down is ideal for what you're describing, a novice section of river with several shootable sets of rapids, relative isolation on the river, and a sites that are easily large enough for 3 tents. The only downside is that the section of river itself is quite short, and you'de only get one night on the river itself. I've never run into crowds on the upper Temigami, the site at the 'gourge' is very attractive. Downside with early August is that the river may be quite low, and not much fun to shoot. The river is controlled by a dam at Cross Lake, and as such, flow rates tend to be very erratic, best to call Ontario Hydro before leaving

The lower section from Red Ceder Lake to River Valley has a very different reputation, the whitewater is considerably more technical, there are more people (summer houses, etc) and the water is sometimes suspect for drinking.

in short, I recommend the upper section from Cross Lake to Red Ceder, starting from Temigami, to Cross, down the Temigami river, then continuing up the Martin River to Hwy 11 and egress, or returning to Temigami from Red Ceder via either Brophy-Jumping Cariboo or via the 'short cut' heading northwest from Hangstone to Cross Lake and thence back to Temigami. The short-cut might be ideal, given the size and age of the group, it can be done in a day from Hangstone to Cross.

Hope this helps.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home