Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2011 * Anvil to Skull to Spray Creek < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tomcat

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 - 4:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Curly....in a past thread you asked about gathering updated info on this route.
I have not yet confirmed this is the route we are taking, but it's about 75% a yes.
Our plant is to fly in to Grays Lake, travel south to the Lady Evelyn River, down the South Branch, up through Willow Island Lake, a day trip up and back the North Branch, then to Anvil, and north to Skull Lake. From here, we will go Spray Creek out to the Montreal River and back to Mowat to our vehicle. It has been about 17 years since I was on the Lady Evelyn, and about 20 years since I did Anvil - Skull - Spray Creek.
What information is Friends of Temagami looking for on this route????
Also, am I going to see any relatively new logging along this route?
We will not be doing Maple Mountain this trip, as I just don't think I'm up to it anymore, and we would have to shorten the route.
I used to live in Pennsylvania, and then upstate New York so I only had one day travel each way to Temagami. I now live in North Carolina so the extra travel time eats into my trip length a little bit.
Regards, tomcat
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 262

Posted on Wednesday, April 6, 2011 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ideally we want a report of canoe route conditions (portages, campsites, blowdowns, etc) for the Willow Island Creek route. This is the "spring high water travel only" portion to the west of the regular Bergeron-Niccolite-Greenwater route. Both are shown in Hap Wilson's book. The WIC route starts in Anvil, splits from the regular route, heads NW to Duncanson and Gladys Lakes, then rejoins the regular route at Little Skull.

MNR has recognized the Bergeron-Niccolite-Greenwater route, meaning that it will receive modest buffers from logging. MNR has refused to recognize the Willow Island Creek route, and in fact is planning clearcuts right down to the shoreline.

You are not going to see new logging on this route yet. The logging is planned for sometime in the next 5 years. There is currently a freeze on logging in that area as a result of the FOT's request that an Independent Environmental Assessment be conducted in regards to the WIC canoe route logging.

What month do you plan to do the route in?
 Link to this message

tomcat

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, April 6, 2011 - 4:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This would be the 3rd week of June.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 263

Posted on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Might still have high enough water by then. If you can't get down the WIC side, that would be valuable info. You could then send us a report of the Bergeron-Greenwater route.

(Message edited by curly on April 7, 2011)
 Link to this message

tomcat

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 8:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fishing.....(Mid June)can anyone comment on fishing the lakes of Anvil Lake up through Skull Lake; then Mendleson? Walleye? Other?
Thanks
Tomcat

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home