Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Nastawgan Route Revival < Previous Next >

Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Whitefish Bay to Diamond Lake

Whitefish Bay, Lake Temagami to Diamond Lake via Pishabo amd Mosquito Lakes. Note the connecting portage lost to old logging activities.

This route could open up new possibilites and provide an alternative when travelling in the Lake Tamagami - Diamond Lake area. This could also help alleviate congestion in the area during the peak months.

Plase contact http://nastawgan.ca for further information.

Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good idea Chris...
Those portages were supposed to have been protected with a reserve that would not "blow down" when cutting happened on either side. It was a classic case of clear cut on both sides of a small portage reserve and the wind caused a lot of the protected zone to "blow down". With clear cutting this is something to keep in mind. There was a need (I think) for feathering out the cut beside trails "outside the reserve boundary" so that wind throw would not be as much of of an issue. Furthermore, feathering out the cut on the edges of a portage creates a more natural looking appearance too. I know that area. I know some people talk about false "fronts" etc but if logging is going to happen these reserves have to be very carefully planned so that when we walk a portage we aren;t staring into a clearcut.
I don't think this is rocket science to acheive. It's just common sense.
 Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 67

Posted on Thursday, May 4, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I agree with what you're saying Doug. I think it's just a result of the general clear-cutting ethic, to get as much as you can out of a block, with little thought for long-term consequences.

Looks like it could be a fun addition to ones route.
 Link to this message

paul_t

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, May 5, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Doug knows more about the MNR policies than I do, I am learning as I go. But from what I understand the MNR places a 60m (both sides) reserve around Nastawgan portages along w/ a 30-60m modified reserve. No cutting of the reserve and basically a shelterwood cut in the modified reserve. If the portages are misidentified or not located guess what happens.

The key is to make sure the portages are identified correctly. We are already doing this on other routes, but there is plenty to be done and the Nastawgan Network needs all the help it can get.

www.nastawgan.ca
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, May 6, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I completely agree Doug.

The integration of nastawgan routes into forestry plans and work would go a long way towards the achievement of many of the goals and values indentified in the TLUP and the TIP process.

Furthermore, if the timber industry could show a willingness to co-operate in this regard, perhaps some of long-held preceptions (myths) could be dispelled - from all sides.

I was able to make it to Algonquin for the trout opener - our annual trip since collage. We found ourselves hiking on an old road where forestry works had taken place - approx 10 yrs ago. It was a selective harvest - many trees of various age-class and type were left. Sure - there were skid roads and stagging areas, but the area was secured from other traffic; No errosion, few wash-outs and the area did not provide an access to the canoe route or portages. Furthermore, the area could still be called a forest and while it was heavily impacted upon, I did not find it totally objectionable. More like responsible forest managment. My own personal opinions only.

You may say what you like about the management practices in Algonquin, but the facts remain: they have been pulling timber out of there for over 100 years. There are many mills in the areas sourrounding the park - lots of inventory visable from the hwy. The forestry industry is capable of providing sustainable long-term employment without large-scale clear-cut operations. The forest industry can be integrated into canoe-route/recreational areas. Yes some of our perceptions of a pristine wilderness may be lost - but we wouldn't loose it all.

Regardless of all that - this is Temagami. We are dealing with a "use it or loose it" mentality. This has been the lesson of experiance. I have also been personally told this by the MNR. This is why we felt it necessary to do something - the Nastawgan Network. Complaining about inaction after the fact serves nothing and no one.

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks for your time and interest.

Chris

(Message edited by chris on May 6, 2006)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home