Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Base Camp suggestions < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jarko

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello everyone

A friend and I are planning a trip to Temagami last weekend of June (5 days). Do you guys have any suggestions for lake on which we could set up our base camp? A place with good availability of picturesque places to visit within a "day-trip distance" would be perfect (including hiking). However, the most important is for the area to be as remote as possible (definitely no motor-boats). Good fishing would also be a big plus.
Man, it feels like I just described every canoeists "holy grail" (kind of place). Anyway, please suggest something as close as possible.
We have never been to Temagami before but we did a number of trips to Algonquin and Quetico so we are somewhat experienced. Only 1 car (not SUV or truck) available so we have to start and finish at the same spot.

Any suggestions would be most welcome
Jarko
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 310

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

jarko;
I am not sure that you can meet all those requirements in Temagami with your time limit constraints and access issues...... But I might suggest you consider going into Obabika where you will find a few motorboats from Obabika Lake Lodge, but not many, and the lake trout fishing is mostly closed, although you could paddle up into the pond between Obabika and Wakimika and try your luck in there for Pike.I would base camp at the north end of the lake and do the old growth trails including, spending a day at the "place of the big rock" on Shish Kong lake.You could also go down the lake towards Ranger Point and visit the Grandmother and Grandfather rocks before climbing up to visit the place where they had a fire watch tower on the east side of Obabika.Only the old generator house remains.You could travel in via the 805 or start from Sandy Inlet on Temagami.
I would do the 805 and enter Obabika via the portage at Wawiagama then travel up either the east or west side of Obabika and return down the other side to the start portage.That should be a relaxing trip, if the winds are not too excessive.
For more info. go to:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/Access/rou nd-lk.htm

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/waki-tri. htm

And if you go, visit the old guy (Alex Mathias) who lives at the mouth of the Obabika River.

Ed.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 155

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

jarco

I agree with Ed.
You might see 10 canoes and one motorboat all week?
Perfect place for a relaxing week.
Have fun.

Link to this message

jarko

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 7:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks a lot for the suggestion Ed. It looks very promising.
One question about the access from the 805 side. On the website it clearly says that (on Goulard Road) "Only 4WDs and trucks are recommended". Is this still the case at this time? Has anybody used this road recently? If so, how does it look?
Kim: when I heard motor boats I immediately had a vision of a noisy lake crowded with people on see-doos etc. I don't know but seeing a motor-boat buzzing accross my view while listening to the wind and enjoying the view could screw up the whole experience. Although, I guess 1 or 2 a week is bearable :-).

Thanks again guys
Jarko
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 311

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jarko:
The 805 is alright.The problem begans when it ends a bit North of Emerald Lake Lodge about where the road to Obabika Lake Lodge branches off. The section from Emerald Lake to the gate near Wawiagama, about 12 to 13 km, is indeed very rough and needs to be travelled carefully and slowly. In a car you need to pick your way along to avoid hitting your oilpan with a rock along this latter section of road.
I have a Safari van that I use to travel along there with, but small cars can and do go there.

The alternative for you would be to take the Temagami Central Access road from Highway 11N just south of Temagami Town and go in that way, parking at the end and paddling West to Obabika Inlet, then portaging into Obabika Lake.
 Link to this message

jarko

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 1, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It looks like my buddy and I are set on this location. We are going to attempt the entry off of 805. Just 2 more questions:
- are there any outfitters (mainly to rent canoe, paddles etc) on the way there, or is it better to just drive to Temagami village and then go back via 805?
- are there any permits required to camp/park in this area?

Thanks,
Jarko
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 318

Posted on Thursday, June 1, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As far as I know there are no outfitters along the 805 corridor or in Sturgeon Falls. If you are driving up #11N then you could use one of the outfitters located east along #17 when you get to the North Bay area.. Sorry don't have a name.

You don't need a permit to park at the Wawiagama gate area, but you will need to purchase a camping permit if you decide to camp within the Obabika River Park. The park boundary starts in the upper lake about 1/2 km south of the Obabika River and runs across the lake at that point.Look at the canoe planning map to see where that is.
Info on where to buy a permit etc. is available on this site: http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Canoeing/parks. htm
The alternative is to camp south of the boundary and day trip into the park.... no charge as long as you don't camp overnight in there.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 89

Posted on Friday, June 2, 2006 - 8:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The return trip from Field to Temagami and then back and up the 805 would take you 3 or 4 hours.
I would look to get your canoes and paddles before you hit Sturgeon Falls.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home