Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Short Canoe outing < Previous Next >

Link to this message

kanutripper

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, June 3, 2006 - 8:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are looking at approximately 3 night trip from Mowat's landing. Would it be better to stay on the Montreal River or go into Lady Ev. Lake to camp? Is the portage into Lady Ev. Lake very hard?

Or do you have another suggestion. We are coming up Hwy.11 from Huntsville. Was also wondering how long it takes to get from Latchford to Mowat's landing. Thankx

(Message edited by kanutripper on June 3, 2006)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 575

Posted on Saturday, June 3, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Montreal River in that area is flat and unexciting terrain and forest. Lady Evelyn Lake is a pine and jack pine forest with Maple Mt looming over it. I suggest going there. The campsites are also nicer.

Only the one easy portage on the road around the dam. Maybe it's 100 metres. The drive from Latchford to Mowat's is easy. Maybe 30 minutes, but I'm guessing.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 319

Posted on Saturday, June 3, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Al:
You could also consider going into Lady Evelyn west from Mowat and then back up through the Sugar Lake Loop..... but the portage out of Sugar Lake back into Lady Evelyn is a long one.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 45

Posted on Saturday, June 3, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Al,
As Ed mentions, the Sugar Lake loop is scenic but with some portaging.
I would also mention to look out for the wind, it can whip up some "nice" waves on LE.
Just to add, you can't camp on "eskers" sandy shores anymore.
I would suggest going to the south part of LE Lake (less motor boat traffic from cottages) and some nice island sites plus a side trip is possible to Willow Island or Walsh Lake or look at liftover into Diamond
 Link to this message

kanutripper

Post Number: 16

Posted on Saturday, June 3, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks guys.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home