Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Muskego route info. < Previous Next >

Link to this message

sid

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 9, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Can anyone provide info. on the Muskego area lakes with respect to the logging progress? I was pondering a trip through the area Sugar, Nichol, Isbister, Ferguson, Sirdevan/ Barter, Tuner, Etc. Has the logging progressed to a point where it's not worth the effort? Thanks.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 578

Posted on Friday, June 9, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Someone needs to go and let us know.
 Link to this message

svb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 7:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

sid,
when are you going to Muskego?
We are planning a trip to the same area
the last week of July.
 Link to this message

sid

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

SVB,
We are looking at late August. I have passed through the Surgar, Angler, Goodfish area several times which is very nice but I wanted to try to go down into the Muskego lakes. Are you going to do them and if so which lakes are you looing at? I attached a JPEG of a satellite image which shows some logging but the image may be older.
 Link to this message

svb

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

sid,
we want to try to do Hap's route #15, but it will depend greatly
on the water level in Muskego river. We like adventures but
10 km portage would be too much. If we go there I will post a
report here. Meanwhile, if you get any info please post it here.

Link to this message

ca_shannon

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 2:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sid,

A friend and I are also planning to do the South Muskego area this summer in either late August or mid September. We will be going in from Anima Nipissing through Eagle Lake and then either north through Isbister etal or south through Lynx etal and then exiting through Sirdevan and Walsh. We will then loop back through Diamond, Sharp Rock Inlet, Ferguson Bay, and Red Squirrel to Anima Nipissing.

We tried this trip once before entering from the West through Walsh Lake, but got stopped by an impassable swamp on the portage from Sirdevan into Bates. We are hoping that we can get through this time. I would certainly be interested in anything that you have to say after doing your trip if you go before me.

Cheers,

Chris
 Link to this message

trevor

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I’ve travelled through the area twice in the last two years.

In August 2004, the portage from Sirdevan to Bates was waist deep with water, which we waded through to scout – good fun. On our way back, we found a well-cut trail to the north (on your left if your walking west to east) of the swampy area just before the swamp begins. The detour comes out at a road where we turned right to meet up with the original trail. Therefore, going in the opposite direction, from Bates to Sirdevan, you turn right at the road and keep your eyes peeled for the detour trail on your left.

Also in 2004, we travelled from Turner to Sirdevan via Barter/Dead Tree/Isbister/Ferguson/Goss. We found that some of the portages required time to find and that well-used animal trails (much better used than the portages) resulted in some false starts. The portages between Isbister and Sirdevan were especially overgrown and required route-finding and clearing. I also seem to recall that the portages weren’t always precisely where we expected them based on Craig Macdonald’s map. Sometimes there was evidence of the old trail, but a newer one was in use, and sometimes we just found the trail slightly off from where we expected. It didn’t look like they had been travelled in some time, but that said, travelling in the opposite direction the following year, 2005, the trails were almost as tricky to find and to travel as our first time through because shrubs had grown in and there were blow-downs that required clearing.

In 2004 we spent a number of hours searching for and not finding the 2000 metre portage from Goss L to Lady Evelyn L (“Bust Your Balls”, I believe from Brian’s book). We set our compasses and bushwhacked across it sans gear, flagging it at the same time, and came back in November to start cutting it from west to east. Without leaves it was easier to see some of the Nastawgan’s older blazes, but there was no evidence that it had been used any time recently. We returned in August 2005, finished cutting and carried across (west to east). The trail we cut is a very long, rough path that was stressful on the ankles. There are parts that I would alter to avoid some steep inclines, but we couldn’t ascertain that while marking the trail, and it wasn’t worth the time it would have taken to change the route at that time. On parts of the trail the hardwoods, and therefore the blazes, are spaced far apart. Without much of a canopy in these spots, the land is choked with tall bushes. I’m sure that the tall bushes we cleared here will fill in quickly and make spotting the blazes on the trees a challenge in the future.

Happy walking.

Trevor Woods
Camp Temagami

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home