Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2011 * Youtube Temagami video < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 6:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I finally got around to posting a video slideshow of a trip down the South Lady Evelyn River, thru Florence, and across Solace. Visited Ishpatina, too. Sorry for the lack of commentary. Thanks for all the info and maps. I appreciate Ottertooth. It's called Temagami Canoe Adventure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jlwGqYGd28
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 16

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nicely done!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1001

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 8:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I like that.
Especially the South Lady Evelyn River... haven't been there
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nicely Done! It is difficult to capture the essence of those places with a camera. That's why I never bring one, anymore.
It made my heart yearn to be out there.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1325

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nice show.

I have been looking over the South Lady Evelyn from Whitemud to the Florence River, having never done it. You were lucky to have high water that year. What distance were you on the river and how much did you portage?
 Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Brian,

Traveling the South Lady Evelyn from Whitemud Lake to Florence River we roughly estimated around 14km or 8.5 miles from the 41 P/7 topo map, but the river was very twisty in sections and we weren't using a GPS. We also used Hap's guidebook(Route 19).
From the time stamps on the photos I see that we were on Apex Lake at 11:00AM; S. Lady Evelyn just below Whitemud 11:30AM; stone shallows 12:05PM; probably the first portage, 70m river left, at 4:15PM. Not sure what time we arrived at the site upstream of Florence River, but by 7:30PM we were enjoying the fire. Around 8 hrs.
We just barely cleared the 2 log bridge remains below Whitemud. At least a dozen beaver dams, 3 or 4 required lift overs and wading. In addition to a couple of deadfalls there were 3 portages of 70m, 55m, and 580m. The carries were primitive, but easily followed and posed no problems.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1327

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A lot less work at that water level anyway than I would have expected. Good info. Thanks.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

nice photos! never thought of doing this as a loop trip as i was always scared off by the south l. evelyn part- good to hear your experience + will store it away for a high water year. (i am no spring canoeist!)
why is it the sunsets are always so amazing on smoothwater!?
 Link to this message

johnb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well done. Any fishing? Love to watch this kinda thing. Dont get the chance to do this much anymore.
 Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No. I didn't take up fishing until spring of last year. My initiation took place in mid April on a quick 3 day solo along the upper Nipissing River in Algonquin. First cast I caught a beauty of a speckled trout and I've been hooked since. I only wish I hadn't waited so long.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 87

Posted on Sunday, May 8, 2011 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

And, nice canoe! : )

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home