Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2011 * Trip Planning < Previous Next >

Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everyone. Im planning my first trip in Temagami. Any info would be very helpfull . Is it possible to put in at Eagel River off of Red Squrrel Road and paddle to Sandy Inlet? thanks.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1010

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No.The river is not navigable through here. You should look at this map:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las_sandy.htm
You need to take the side road to your left just before the Eagle River, drive to the parking lot, then portage to Sandy Inlet. If you are driving a low clearance vehicle you may have to use the upper parking lot and portage the extra distance.
Hope that helps.
 Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 6:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks ed. I knew about the parking lots, I did'nt they were for public use. I thought they were for Camp Wanapitel use only. That's awsome to know. We are thinking adding a couple more days to our trip to do the north and south Lady Evelyn River. In your opion can it be done in a couple of days. I heard the portages are very difercult to do. Thanks
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1013

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 7:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think you mean the Staircase which is the 2 branches of the Lady Evelyn River coming out of Katherine Lake(Divide Lake). Starting from Franks Falls, you can reach Katherine in 1 long day and Willow Island (south branch) in a second long day.Then you need to add in the time to get to Franks Falls to start and the time to get from Willow Island Lake back to your start point.
The portages are somewhat strenuous and you shouldn't rush through them.
 Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are also thinking of maybe putting in at Red Squrrel lake. On the map I see a 700m portage on the west side of the lake that goes to a small river than out to Sandy Inlet. Anyone know if this is a differcult portage and is the river navigable to Sandy Inlet. Thanks
 Link to this message

groggins

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 2:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It is much shorter to portage from the parking lot at Sandy Inlet to Lk Temagami than paddle the length of Red Squirrel Lk to the portage you reference and then portage. The portage however is easy. Red Sq at times can be very bumpy in the afternoon,and where you must leave your transport
("the Pit")often crowded with house trailers etc.
 Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, May 8, 2011 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is it posible to camp overnight at the parking lot at Sandy Inlet. We have a 9 hour drive and would like to get some rest before starting our trip.
 Link to this message

groggins

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, May 8, 2011 - 7:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Camp on the beach there are a number of sites near where the trail comes down from the parking lot.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home