Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2011 * 1st Trip to Temagami - Looking for guidance < Previous Next >

Link to this message

beige

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 8:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We looking at the following route: put in at Anvil Lake, Old Bill - Hobart - Sucker Gut-Willow Island - Lady Evelyn.
We are a group of 45+ year old gals (with a couple of shirpas) who prefer shortish portages; we 3 - 4 travel days with rest days mixed in. Need sites to fit 3 tents. Will need to rent a couple of canoes and would like accomodations for our arrival night.
Would appreciate your feedback on this route or others that might be suitable. Prefer not to run into many motorboats or be in cottage country. We are travelling from Sarnia.

Your guidance would be appreciated.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

sounds ok, you might need all 4 days (nites) if you're going up the mountain- i assume you are going out at mowat landing- cannot comment on your fly-in plans although i have seen a floatplane land on anvil so i assume its ok.
 Link to this message

beige

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 8:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Okay, so this is good and my next comments will probably show how new I am to the area. On my map there is a "B" line to Anvil lake which I thought was a road, but now I see it is an "unnamed" river, yes? Okay. So, where would you suggest we get a floatplane. If there is no cottage/motor boat problem at Mowat Landing, can we have there as our A/F point. How busy is this area of the park the first week of August? Thank you again so much for the info.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1019

Posted on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Beige:
The road you are looking at is an old logging road. I don't know if it is passable in a 4x4, likely not.
Curly might respond and update us on this road and whether it is useable or will be useable in the near future as a result of logging plans in the area.

You can inquire about the cost of a float plane from Lakeland Airways in Temagami. Not sure how many are in your party, but it looks as if you would need 2 flights to get into Anvil.

From Mowat Landing, it would take at least 2 travel days by canoe to get to the Hobart Lake area. But the prevailing winds in August are mostly from the SW so that could slow you down.

August is usually very busy in terms of other canoeists.There are some cottages and fishing camps/lodges on Lady Evelyn Lake, but not hoards of them.

If you are coming from Sarnia, it will take you most of the day. I lived there for many years, and we used to stay in Finlayson Provincial Park for our first night. Temagami does have motel accommodation if that is what you are looking for.
I think the map you are using has the larger sites marked on it as filled in triangles capable of taking 3 tents.

Not sure what A/F means in your last post?

Also, I expect to be away shortly and not able to answer your next questions, so maybe someone else here will help out.
Ed.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1329

Posted on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Beige, you cannot drive a road vehicle down to Anvil Lake. The road deteriorates about 300 metres north of Skull Lake. You could put-in at Skull and paddle down to Anvil, but that comes with plenty of portaging.
 Link to this message

beige

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2011 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Okay, so we are still looking for a do-able route. There used to be an outfitters called "Wanapitie Outfitters" near Ferguson Bay, but they say they no longer do accomodations and shuttle services. We were wondering whether there is a road to Ferguson Bay and if we could park our cars there. Any ideas?
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 300

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 9:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las_sandy.htm
 Link to this message

beige

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you so much for so much good info so far, but we still have questions. So at Mowat Landing, can we camp there before we set out the next day or do we have to sleep at Edgewater Motel or somewhere else? Let us know.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 303

Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It has been a while since I accessed at Mowats Landing. The parking lot at the landing is a bit stark but depending on the activity there I guess you could pitch a tent for the night. I seem to recall a campsite on the other side of the river and one fairly close upstream of the dam on the lake proper.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As alscool says, the parking lot is pretty barren. There are several sites between the dam and the part where LE lake widens out. From there, you can make the base of Maple Mountain in a day given decent weather.

One time I stayed at Smoothwater Outfitters the night before - they have some cheap cabin/bunk room arrangements. Allows for a faster start vs. breaking down camp in the morning.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home