Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 31, 2011 * Preachers Point/Betty's Hole - Campsite Help < Previous Next >

Link to this message

valens_one

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, May 1, 2011 - 8:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello Ottertooth board members...

I am planning on camping in the area of these two areas of Lady Evelyn and Sucker Gut Lakes. We are not going to the fish camp lodges - but wish to camp the shorelines or Island campsites.

I will have a deep V 14 foot fishing boat with a 25hp 4 stroke motor.

Can someone please tell me of the shoreline conditions at these two locations to accomodate a fishing boat. The boat is too big to pull safely from the water to avoid rocks and such.

I had a thread just down a bit that did not specify my site location and would sure appriciate some information on the camp sites here.

Thank you for your time,

Gord
 Link to this message

oldruff

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 9:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have fished here for years and stay at "Island 10". Preacher's Point is all sand and should be great to pull your boat on to. We have cooked shore lunches there and at Betty's Hole. Your best bet is Preacher's Point. Have a long line with you. You may need it tie up with. The campsite is probably 10" above the water level and you will need it if there are no trees near the water line.

Have fun. We expect to be there the week of June 5-11.

Sam
 Link to this message

valens_one

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, May 2, 2011 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Sam - how is the fishing here? Should I bring some bait like worms and minnows or strickly articial bait this time of year? Location, location, location...haha.

We plan to be there right after the long weekend - so I should be able to give you a report before you go.

Send me an email to - gscostie@symaptico.ca

Gord
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, May 6, 2011 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

valens... If you are heading out west through LE from Mowatt's, stay to the left when you are entering The Narows between East LE and the Main Lake. There is a major rock shoal right down through the middle of the Narrows that has wiped out MANY power-boats over the years taking off props, motors or boat bottoms depending on the water levels. The left side (south) has a HUGE rock ledge approx. 6' off the rock face, but is really deep. Just take it a little slow so you can enjoy the beauty.

(The Narrows also has a sweet water spring on the right side about half way through ~ which has ~ or had ~ a plastic pipe coming out of it 10 years ago.) There is a clump of birch trees just to the left of the pipe. I remember this because my Dad many years ago wanted to make 'one more trip north' when he became 70. My brother, Grawulf, and my sister fulfilled his wish 2 years later when he passed away and we sprinkled some of his ashes from his cremation at the base of the birches.)

I am now 60, but spent many of my younger years enjoying the comforts of Gilmore's Island Camp (now Island 10). Prefered bait of the region are Buckeye Snakes ~ also known as Night Crawlers. We used to fish a heavy sinker tied on to a 6' line tied to a floating Rapula that would keep it about a foot off the bottom when we were trolling about 5 MPH. When we trailed with the Night Crawler, it looked like a north-woods leach which the walleye could NOT resist! Have had a few of those over the years after portaging through the shallow waters... Big Fish most every time! Let us know how you did!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home