Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 31, 2011 * Help required for July trip! < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bena

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 2:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi gang,

Last year my friends and I enjoyed a short canoe trip around Lake Temagami. Everything went quite smoothly and now we desire to do another trip this July in a more remote location. (Indeed, motor boats and house boats put a damper on things last time.)

At current, I'm far from my home in Canada and consequently I cannot look at my maps; however, I'm eager to get some planning done. There are nine of us on this trip and my friend and I ('the planners') know nothing of the area we want to visit -- Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater PP.

We will be staying nearby on the 12th of July and ready to launch on the 13th (probably in early afternoon). We need to return to our vehicles on the 17th and return our rented canoes. Four nights!

Where is the best spot to launch? Last summer we used the main access road, but that seems a little far off from where we aim to be. Are there better launching locations where our vehicles will be reasonably safe for a few nights? Red Squirrel?

Also, does anybody have a decent route in mind that we could follow? I recognize that's a loaded question but I had to ask just for good measure!

Finally, I know we have to pay overnight fees but do we need to reserve camp sites? I'm getting mixed results and some seem quite dated.

Thank you very much!
I'm sure I'll have more questions soon -- my apologies.

Ben
 Link to this message

bena

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 6:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Perhaps the Obabika Loop is a fitting route?
We will need permits for some nights I imagine?
 Link to this message

speeddemon

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 7:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Obabika-Diamond loop is a nice easy-going trip which you don't have to rush through.Parking at Red Squirrel Rd. & park at Sandy Inlet(10-15 min. after RS lake) There's parking there & wewather permitting 3 day round trip. Probably avoid most most after the inlet.
 Link to this message

speeddemon

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 8:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

After the north part of Obabika starting at Ranger Point area,m there is no permit fees on Obabika lake.
 Link to this message

bena

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 9:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is roughly the route right? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/redsqdiam onobabika.jpg/

If we do 13th-17th we could probably take it pretty slow?

Thanks for help speeddemon!
 Link to this message

bena

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've done so much reading about this that I think I've answered a lot of my own questions! I appreciate the help but I think I'm sorted. Perhaps I jumped the gun by posting -- my apologies.

One more question, though.

Is there any outfitter near the Sandy Inlet who rents canoes? I read somewhere that Camp Wanapitei does. Is this true? We could save much time by not having to transport our canoes a long way (we only have on truck.)

Thanks
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 274

Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wanapitei got out of the rental business a few years ago. Try Smoothwater or Temagami Outfitting Co.

I'll throw in my 2 cents about your route. Obabika Loop is a great route. Perhaps too great. If you are sensitive about crowds, best to go somewhere other than Obabika or Maple Mountain in mid-summer. ("Crowds" is a relative term. In Temagami, seeing a few other parties qualifies as a crowd in my book. Other places, seeing only 2-3 other parties on your trip would be considered remote and untouched.) If you want to avoid cottages, houseboats, and motorboats, and crowded routes, I'd try putting in on Anima Nipissing Lake, or Beauty Lake Road (Gamble Lk or Montreal R). Also make sure you check out the "Rumble Lakes" map on ottertooth for info on busy lakes.

There's a direct correlation between the amount (# and length) of portages you do and the number of people, motorboats, cottages, etc that you see.
 Link to this message

bena

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks curly!
Smoothwater seems to be somewhat closer to Red Squirrel Road, which is great! Their website was helpful also. Group rates on permits -- delightful.

The whole lot of us are city dweller so seeing a few groups still feels untouched. I would love to head somewhere more secluded, but we somewhat rely on the ease of heading to the Temagami area. (By 'ease' I mean outfitters and mostly findable portages.)

I appreciate the help!
Ben
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 299

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2011 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The problem with the Obabika loop during mid summer would be avaialbily of your ideal campsite. The so called crowds will be visable at choice campsites on choice lakes and perhaps at the portage put in and take out.

Have you considered Solace PP ? It would suit all your needs except perhaps getting rental canoes in one truck. Here is the starting map from ottertooth.

http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland03a.h tm

this is a interactive in that it loads the next map in the series, also note the map tabs at the top showing the access from the route detail.

There are many maps referenced in the ottertooth map index such as the rumble lakes that Curly mentioned.

http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/mindex.htm
 Link to this message

bena

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 8:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'll run Solace PP past the gang.
I certainly like the idea! The interactive map makes this a lot easier to figure out too. Thanks alscool! I appreciate this.

I'll be back with more soon!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home