Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 31, 2011 * Ottawa-Temiskaming Highland Trail < Previous Next >

Link to this message

les

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 9:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Rabbit Lake Road (access to the OTHT at Grand Campment Bay) is completely washed out 100 metres past the 27 km sign just beyond the Glasford bridge. The MNR is seeking emergency funding for the repair.

The trail has a severe blowdown area about 2 km north of Nagle Bay requiring a bush crash adventure west of the trail to get around the obstruction, then hiking back east to the trail. It's a fair distance around and takes about an hour and a half. For specific info contact Murray Muir 705 648 3310.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1333

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Les.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 317

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Les, Is that the spot after the bridge and just before the trail splits and you can turn North towards Cooper lake??
 Link to this message

onr1737

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Last Summer(2nd weeek of July) during that extremely humid and hot week, i chose to go hiking the trail. The 2km from Latchford to Roosevelt Road, were alright until after that last lookout, then it became almost impossible to find trail markers and just past roosevelt road it was impossible, very overgrown
 Link to this message

les

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, June 8, 2011 - 6:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The OTHT is in good shape from Latchford to Grand Campment Bay excepting one severe blow down north of Nagle Bay which must be bypassed by bush crashing to the west around the end of the blow down then heading east back to the trail. This takes about 1.5 hours.

As for onr1737, you must have wandered off the trail (I've done this; it's not hard if you're focused on something off trail or just mind wandering). It is also possible that new growth blocks blazes from view but you can usually find them with a careful search. Sunlight can also play tricks with the blazes. There are lots of white painted blazes all along the trail. Just south of the Roosevelt Rd the trail follows old road beds in a zig zag pattern for about a kilometre before heading off on new trail to Hearst Lake. I put up several signs and painted blazes close together along the road bed because someone ripped off the original signage.

The gps track is a free download along with zoomable, printable pdf maps at nastawgantrails.org (click 'Area Trails', click gps icon).

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home