Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 31, 2011 * Is this practical? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bena

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi there,
I'm back!

My friends and I (total of nine) have decided to do the Diamond-Obabika Loop in mid-July. We will launch from the Sandy Inlet at Ferguson Bay.

I need to know if the speed we do this route is not too exhausting or perhaps too easy.

First day we want to make it almost ten miles from our launch into Diamond Lake. Path: Sandy Inlet-Napoleon's Portage-Sharp Rock Portage and into Diamond. We then paddle a couple miles for dinner and a sleep!

Second day we want to push out of the provincial park because we don't want to pay for another night. We do the two portages into Wakimika and then follow the river** into Obabika lake. From there we paddle south until we escape the park and then we sleep. The kicker though, is that we want to stay at whatever site we find there for two nights. Hence, day three is a write-off.

Day four we paddle somewhere maybe 5-7 miles from our launch point and sleep. The next morning we paddle to our trucks and leave.

I am mostly worried about the first two days of paddling. It's doable? Too much? Too little? Is this a practical outline?

**What are the water levels like on the Wakimika River? Passable in July?

Thank you very much!
This forum has been so helpful.

Ben
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

should be doable; my only advice with 9 people would be to start early and camp early as you are doing the busiest route in temagami at the height of the canoe season.
 Link to this message

bena

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 7:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks grncnu,
Yea I'm already harassing them about an early wake up! Here's hoping.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1021

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 7:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The water levels in the Wakimika River are usually good for travel in July. There may be some beaver dams to pull over or some low hanging trees to get under, but it should all be good for travel.
 Link to this message

bena

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 8:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brilliant! Thanks ed.
Now I must be patient and wait until July. :-(

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home