Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 31, 2011 * Upstream on the Lady Evelyn? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 115

Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm planning a 30 day trip for the month of July, and am contemplating a few route options:

My big question is:
Is upstream travel on the Lady Evelyn - North Channel, then all the way up to Florence Lake - advisable?
How fast does the current move through this section?
Other route options are possible if upstream travel will be a serious challenge... I'm considering reversing my direction so that I will be paddling downstream on the LE river section, but that creates other challenges...

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Mike
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

no, it is not a problem. you will have to line a few sections that can be run going downstream, but it would add a half-day at most, a minor consideration in a 30-day trip.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1020

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 7:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

No problem in July Mike.Going upstream on the south Lady Evelyn where it meets the north Channel can be tiring in early May because of current, but it can still be done.
I have travelled upstream on the north channel in early May from Frank Falls to Kaa Lake.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 - 9:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Did upstream from Sucker Gut a couple of portages in early May one year. Would be easily navigable even in low water. The only time I've ever seen a bear in the woods, it was crossing the river.

Hold on to your boat at the first portage, it's close to the top of the falls, Franks?

The 2nd port has some fun with a 10-15' near vertical. We scouted about and didn't find any detour around it.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 117

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've been up and down the North and South Channels on several occasions.

I think there is some confusion regarding my original post: The Lady Evelyn South Channel is not the same stretch as the South Lady Evelyn River - two different bodies of water, and I think that's where the confusion lies.

I know the two channels from Sucker Gut/Willow Island are easily navigable in either direction right up to Katherine Lake.

What I'm not sure of, is the section upstream of Macpherson Lake, all the way to Florence Lake.

Is it a tough slog going upstream?
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 307

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

not as bad as the Obabika or Yorston upstream, less meander, more linear so you won't have crashing flow.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1023

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The section where you get onto the South Branch of the Lady Evelyn River on your way to Florence does have a lot of current in the spring. You can paddle it but it is a tough slog. Going solo I have found it to be a harder paddle than upstream on the Obabika in the early spring.It is pretty winding through there. I don't think you will have as much problem in July or August.And if you are going tandem, it should be ok even in the spring flows.As you get past the Deep Lake Road Bridge crossing the current slacks somewhat and paddling ease improves as the river straightens out a bit.
I have done both routes a few times in early spring and that has been my experience.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 - 8:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

macpherson to florence definitely no problem in summer. there is a very meandering section west of the forks before the old road crossing. saw a bear there once, in the water, almost ran into it as we came around one of those hairpin turns...

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home