Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 31, 2011 * SandyInlet >DiamondLake for 5days Canada day wkend < Previous Next >

Link to this message

hoggie85

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just was looking for any helpful advice and knowledge to the area my father and I are going to be taveling. We have already reserved our canoe at Tamagami Outfitters. We plan to get to Sandy Inlet and hit the water by 6:30am, we are hoping to be able to make our journey into Diamond Lake all in that day (is that realistic?) We just plan to get to Diamond and stay at one site for 5 days. I have already purchased a topo map for the area of Temagami and invested in Happ's book. From what I can gather it seems we would be best to camp on the NW side of the lake (any suggestions there??) I'm trying to think of the wind a head of time, have heard it can get pretty nasty. I would consider myself a beginner as well as my father, this will be our first time in this area and are VERY excited have been planning this trip for almost 8 months. Again any thing anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 309

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 - 9:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Perhaps be prepared to move about the lake and experience 2 or 3 of the many fabulous campsites that Diamond Lake offers.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1024

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You should be able to get to Diamond in 1 day leaving at 6:30AM easily.The early start should help you with wind problems. Napoleon portage is a bit nasty, so you may want to pack lite, but the next portage into Diamond is fairly short and easy albeit a bit rocky in places.
There are some nice island campsites in the middle of the lake, in the area of the north arm that will position you to do day trips from.

If you can plan to get there in the early afternoon, you should be able to choose the one you think is best for yourselves.

Not sure if you have located these maps on ottertooth just yet but you may want to look at them:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las_sandy.htm

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las_sharp.htm
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 278

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you start paddling at 6:30 you should be on Diamond by mid-morning unless you're really really slow
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 - 1:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

since you're spending all that time on diamond i recommend hiking the "two miler" portage to the south lady evelyn and back. it will give you a nice change of pace and is a very pleasant trail especially if you're not carrying a canoe. there's a nice campsite at the diamond end.
 Link to this message

hoggie85

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 - 1:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ok, this is great info guys thanks a ton! Being that I'm with my dad would it maybe be better to head alittle more south out of sandy inlet and into ferguson bay and go into pickeral bay and take that portage...? And if so how much would that change the time on getting to diamond. Question about camping on the islands, i had thought about that but I wondered about availability of fire wood. And if we have to do trips to the main land so that we don't use up what the islands have to offer. Anymore advice that comes to mind is very appreciated. I'm so happy to be getting so exciterd about my new hobby/passion.
 Link to this message

hoggie85

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 - 1:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, I have been looking at the maps on here. They have been helpful, alot more detail then Happ's book. I'm 26 and this is my first time planning a trip like this, also my dads first time also. We plan to do alot of fishing and hiking on and around diamond. The 2 miler now wheres that??? I'm hoping to make it an annual event, so this year me and dad are to be the ginnie pigs...LOL Thanks again guys for taking the time to write to me. I found this site about 3 months ago and have been enjoying reading the articles and forum posts from the past, you guys all seem like great people with ALOT of knowledge. Can't wait to get the skills under my belt.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1026

Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 - 8:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I haven't done the Pickerel Bay Portage, but if your dad is in good shape Napoleon is not a problem. If I recall, Napoleon starts out with a climb up an elevation and then gets fairly flat after that, before it descends down to the North Arm. If your dad is going to have a problem, then pre-carry your gear up the steep climb at the start and then let him start his carry from there.This is a bit more time consuming, but will be easier on your dad.

The smaller islands will be a bit bare and you will need to get firewood from the shoreline.Getting wood along the shore is usually not a big problem and you can carry a fair bit in a canoe. Suggest you bring an axe for splitting and a saw to cut small logs into billets for easy splitting.

There is a fishing camp on Diamond, so you may see some fishers out there in motor boats. Try casting in the shoals close to the islands for pickerel and pike. Also go up the north arm of Diamond to the narrows where you travel into Lady Evelyn Lake and try that area.

If you are not sure about your skill using an axe you might want to watch this video:
http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=20 &t=37972
 Link to this message

hoggie85

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well I think we'll do the Napolean, he's not over weight or anything so we should make out alright. The islands it is for sure sounds and looks like the prime spot on Diamond. WOW, thanks for the vid link Ed. Those little tricks will come in handy. I like how he uses another log to hold the piece he is splitting, keeping your hands out of the line of fire...brilliant! Thanks also for the fishing tips those always come in handy. Which trails would you recommend we check out, any fav's in your opinion?
Are you heading up that way this summer Ed?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 - 8:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

the 2 miler is in the northwest corner of the lake and is the link from diamond to the south branch of the lady evelyn river. it's a nice hike over varied terrain- floating bog, rocky uplands, deep cedar forest, etc.
 Link to this message

hoggie85

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oh, ok. I got home and looked at Happ's book I see were it shows to enter the "two miler". I have a topo of this area so i'm sure we'll be able to piece the trail together, is it a farely well marked trail? Thanks grncnu!
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 279

Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you're into a little side trip hike, you can hike up to the top of Napoleon Mountain. From the Sandy Inlet side of the portage, head in about 100 m (i.e. up the steep hill that has been mentioned below). You will see a faint trail fork to the right. Follow this trail and it will climb steeply to the top for a wonderful view. See here:

http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_atlas_ sandy.htm

Have a great trip. It's wonderful to see new folks picking up a great hobby, and more wonderful that you're cutting your teeth in Temagami!
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, June 5, 2011 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

no worries following the 2 miler trail, it's a well-beaten path. also i agree with ed that you should make a day trip up thru the narrows to lady evelyn lake.
anyways, happy trails.
 Link to this message

hoggie85

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, June 5, 2011 - 2:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ya thanks Curly, maybe we'll try it on our way back to sandy inlet. We're pretty keen to get to diamond and set up camp, figure once thats done then we can relax and talk about what routes and trails we should do and what days. Ya, i consider myself fortunate to have found this site great people and great knowledge. Hopefully in the future the roles will be reversed and I'll be able to help out with getting people on the right track. Good to hear about the "two miler" sounds interesting, and ya we will definately be checking out the narrows. I could definately see there being some good fishing there. Thanks again guys!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1029

Posted on Sunday, June 5, 2011 - 3:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Trails?
Well you could go from Diamond south to the portage that goes into Bob Lake.After a short distance you will come to the Red Squirrel Road and you could walk along it either West or East. Or you could go along it a little bit and bushwack into Bob Lake and have lunch at the campsite ( an old lumber camp) on the north side of Bob.

Also, if you travel along Diamond to the West, you will come to a campsite on the north shore a bit past the "2 mile" portage where there is another more interesting old lumber camp. This is worth exploring.

There may be an article describing this here on ottertooth. Perhaps someone knows where it is and could provide the link.
 Link to this message

hoggie85

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2011 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That all sounds good, definately will keep us busy. Thanks Ed
P.S - You don't know what kind of oil I would use on my sharpening stone?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1038

Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2011 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Are you sure it uses oil? Maybe it uses water.
Any oil will work, even cooking oil.
 Link to this message

hoggie85

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2011 - 5:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes i'm sure, well thats what it said on the package it came out of. Great thanks, from my understanding the oil just allows the grit from the stone not to pack in...? Perfect

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home