Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 31, 2011 * 24 days in Temagami < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 - 1:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My wife and I are planning 24 days in Temagami. I have never been to the area before. My wife has visited the Wolf L. neighbourhood via Matagamasi L. a couple of times and would like to take me there during this trip.

I would like to include the Sturgeon River (accessing it from Scarecrow L.), unless enough people were to advise me otherwise. I guess Solace and Pilgrim Creek could be an alternative to the sturgeon, but if you can only pick one?

We are looking to have a few scattered layover days through-out to relax and swim as well as for any hiking trails worth exploring.

In a perfect world I would aim to be near the town of Temagami halfway through our trip for a possible food drop. We have been thinking about using Matagamasi Lake as our access point.

We are in our early 30's and we are pretty experienced trippers and are no strangers to long and dirty portages. We always appreciate getting off the beaten path when possible - even if it means pushing through a couple of hard portages to get there.

Staying outside the park boundaries, to avoid permit fees, would not be frowned upon either.

Any route ideas would be very much appreciated.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

24 days means an almost infinite number of possibilities. starting from matagamasi you have a basic decision- to start your trip at wolf (heading north to stouffer and the sturgeon) or east and south towards maskinonge and the lower sturgeon. once you've figured that out, you should decide what outstanding features you want to see: the upper chiniguchi, ishpatina, smoothwater, sunnywater, the downstream run on the sturgeon, the pinetorch route, florence lake, the golden staircase (north and south lady evelyn), maple mountain, the temagami river, the grays/makobe rivers, the obabika old-growth trails... just come up with a route that encompasses most of the above & you should be good to go!!
for my part, i'd suggest starting northhwards. i.e. eventually downsteam on the lady evelyn, makobe and temagami rivers and back upstream on the sturgeon and chiniguchi rs.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1338

Posted on Sunday, June 5, 2011 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Since you are no stranger to portages, here's an interesting route idea for starting and ending at Mattagamasi and including Scarecrow:
1. Mattagamasi to Button L via Wolf
2. Button to Pilgrim Triangle on Sturgeon via Parsons
3. Pilgrim to Yorston L via Witch's Crossover
4. Yorston L and up Yorston R to Bluesucker via Seagram
5. Bluesucker west to Solace L
6. Solace L to Hamlow via Regan
7. Up to Scarecrow L and back to Hamlow
8. Hamlow to Sturgeon via the Hamlow-Stull portage (shortcut)
9. Down the Sturgeon to Stouffer portage
10. Stouffer to Chiniguchi L via Dougherty
11. Chiniguchi to Mattagamasi

All of this is shown via these linked maps:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini6.ht m

No stores to re-outfit unless someone drives it up to Gervais Road Landing on Sturgeon.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1028

Posted on Sunday, June 5, 2011 - 2:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Carrying 24 days of food and other supplies should not be a problem. I do it all the time. So forget the resupply and have a great time.
 Link to this message

jman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for all the suggestions.

This is what I came up with, but I am not sure if I am being too ambitious.

Day 1: Matagamsi - McCarthy Bay (late start)
Day 2: McCarthy Bay - Maskinonge
Day 3: Maskinonge - Wawaishkashi
Day 4: Wawaishkashi - Gull
Day 5: Gull - Obabika Inlet or Obabika Lake
Day 6: Obabika Inlet or Obabika Lake - Wakimika
Day 7: Wakimika - Dorothy
Day 8: Dorothy - Pinetorch
Day 9: Pinetorch - Florence
Day 10: Florence - Gamble
Day 11: Gamble - Sunnywater
Day 12: Sunnywater - Smoothwater
Day 13: Smoothwater - Scarecrow
Day 14: Scarecrow - Solace via Reagan
Day 15: Solace - Bluesucker
Day 16: Bluesucker - Yorston
Day 17: Yorston - Sturgeon
Day 18: Sturgeon - Laura
Day 19: Laura - Wolf
Day 20: Wolf - Matagamasi

As I have 25 days available, I would then have 5 spare days to play with to relax.

Is this too much, too little or just right? Are there any days that I have misjudged?

Thank you in advance for your time and feedback.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home