Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 31, 2011 * Obabika/sturgeon to river valley < Previous Next >

Link to this message

sara

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 6:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are planning a trip down the Obabika & Sturgeon rivers to River Valley. Any information about these two rivers would be appreciated....What is the current like? Shoreline? Campsites? Are there many beaver dams and blowdowns to negociate?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1049

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

sara:
When are you planning to go on this trip? July? August? or later?
 Link to this message

sara

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 7:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are planning this for beginning to middle of August.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1050

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sara: In August the current in Obabika will be manageable going downstream.There are some tree blockages on the river and you will need to get around them, but most have some rudimentary portages around them to assist you. Some can be traversed by going to shore and dragging your canoe along the mud for several feet to get past them.

There are few campsites on Obabika River.The 2 useable ones are marked on the MNR planning map. Both are old logging camps.The first one goes around a chute, that may or may not be runnable, the second is just above Obabika Falls and you can not run that.So you need to know where you are on the river at all times.
If you leave Obabika Lake early in the morning you should be able to reach the second site, above Obabika Falls near the Sturgeon River. If you are late leaving Obabika Lake... 10AM or after that, then take the first campsite. otherwise go for the one above the Falls, which may be marked by some tape on River Left and should have a small 6x6 foot dilapadated building located near the take-out. Don't miss this or you will get into fast water near the Falls and that is not a good thing....

From here you portage along an old logging trail around the Falls and you then go out to Sturgeon River.Travel the Sturgeon to Lower Goose Falls and as you see the Bridge over the river the take-out is on River Right.There is a nice campsite just past the road that crosses the bridge.
Travel downstream from there is relatively easy as the river meanders about.
I have only ever travelled downstream as far as Wawiashkashi Lake ( Manitou River) and although there are a few swifts, the river through here is an easy run.
Below that should be OK, with a portage around Driftwood Chutes and then out to Glen Afton.
Perhaps someone else here can help with that part of the River.
At Glen Afton ( Cowboy La Belles place) you will probably need to portage along the road (805 highway),to get around these rapids in August water levels.....
See Hap Wilsons book on Temagami for route details and look at route # 1,11 etc.for details.
Ed.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

i have done the stretch from river valley to murray creek (which is actually the chiniguchi river) upstream in august with no problems- mostly deep water. there are plenty of camping possibilities on sand or gravel beaches. as for the rapids at glen afton, these looked like a rocky mess, we didn't even consider lining up it. this portage, along the road on the east side, passes a chipwagon that used to be run by cowboy labelle. the south end of the portage is a very steep drop down a slippery gravel cliff to the gravel beach, and may be tough to spot from the road.
i have not done the stretch between the manitou river (wawiashkashi l.) and the murray creek outlet but i would be confident it is easily navigable and interesting unless you're looking for fast water.
agree with ed on the rest of the route. look for some amazing swimming holes at the confluence of the obabika and sturgeon, right where the portage comes out- and heed ed's warning about "keeping your place" on the obabika river when you get close to the sturgeon portage! a few years ago someone went over the obabika falls (it's on this forum somewhere) and barely survived.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 56

Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 8:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sara,

I did the River Valley route up to Wawiashagi and provide a good description of the trip in this report at http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=10 8&t=35266

We did it upriver (not recommended but fun). Going downriver will be fine although bony with many sharp rocks no matter the water level, although low would be extremely bad. The current and rapids should be reasonable mid summer. Depending on your abilities you will have to line some of the bigger rapids, Cowboys, the Chute amongst a few others.

It's a fairly easy downward trip from Wawiashagi to River Valley, an easy half day I would say.

Enjoy
 Link to this message

speeddemon

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Looking to go on another trip in the Temagami Area. If anyone would like to go let me know.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home