Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 31, 2011 * Kaa - Barr - Wabun - Sunnywater Conditions? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 116

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 6:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anyone know about the conditions of the portages and waterlevels from Kaa through to Barr, Wabun and then to Sunnywater .. and then from Sunnywater to Smoothwater?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1051

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

They were all useable in 2004, but that is a while ago.I am not sure if they are included in the Parks Maintenance schedule. You could ask by calling the superintendant at:Finlayson PP, 705-569-3205

The route is called the Wabun highway and is mostly used by Wabun.... so they might tell you if OP can't help.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 117

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ed - just called them now. The woman I spoke to said that they haven't been cleared for a long time, some time before 2004, and that the route is not a recognized portage by the park (which begs the question, who cleared them in the first place?). On a more positive note, however, the water levels are fine right now.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1052

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That was probably Kelly.The route is an old nastawgan one, so it was likely the Anishnabi who cleared it, but Wabun Canoe Camp still uses it.
I had no particular problems when I did it.It was easy to find the ports and they were all clear at that time.( checked notes)
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 282

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ontario Parks does not "recognize" all the canoe routes in the parks. This is an extension of the MNR's general reluctance to recognize all canoe routes across Temagami. A 2009 Friends of Temagami study found 4700 km of canoe routes in Temagami, only 2400 of which are recognized. The FOT aims to have all canoe routes recognized, therefore giving the portages and campsites basic protections from logging, cottage development and the like.

http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/index.php/in-the- news/general-news/23-4700-km-of-canoe-routes-ident ified-in-temagmi
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1053

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 8:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

A few years ago I asked OP to consider re-opening a couple of old routes. One was the crossover from the north to the south Lady Evelyn River via Dees Lake, the other was a crossover from the bottom SE end of Threthewey to the SW end of Makobe.Both are old nastawgan routes.
I was told at the time that they would have to pass this by the District.

That was the last I ever heard about it.

Since both these route suggestions were within the borders of LESWPP , I could not understand why Ontario Parks would have to consult with MNR.

In this case, with the exception of the bit from Kaa to Barr, all of the route lies within the Park.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home