Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 31, 2011 * Access and shuttle service < Previous Next >

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2011 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Gents and Ladies,
it has been a while. So far, only a short four day trip in may. But that will all change.
I am wondering who I could hire to shuttle us up to the Sturgeon River on the Gervais Rd. in September?
We are planning an ambitious trip over 11 days. We wanted to go from Maskinonge, up through to Pilgrim Triangle, on to florence, Lady E. then Gamble, over to Smoothwater, back down through Scarecrow and the whole Sturgeon back down to Kelly's Crossing. seems a bit far.
I am thinking of starting up at the Gervais Rd./Sturgeon interface and having the vehicle brought back down to maskinonge, or somewhere nearby? any thoughts or ideas?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1057

Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fireman, your trip plan is a bit confusing.
Are you planning to start at the Gervais road where it crosses the Sturgeon and go downstream to Kelly's crossover and into Maskinonge?

Or do you have some other bit added on that involves Pilgrim triangle , Florence etc.?

Perhaps I am reading this incorrectly?
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry there, Ed. My working plan is to put in on the Sturgeon at Gervais Rd. Travel up into Scarecrow and on to Smoothwater.
Then the big crossover, which if I remember correctly is a little bit different now so if you have any info on that, please comment.
Down the Lady Evelyn to South Lady Evelyn, into the Florence River, to Florence Lake. From their, Ames Creek (sucking mud, I know) to PineTorch and then down towards Pilgrim Creek, crossover to the Chiniguchi system and back to either Maskinonge or Matagamasi.
Originally we wanted to start and finish at the same point, but ten nights is just not enough to cover it all, from what I can figure.
So, my questions are many.
1-shuttle service to Gervais Rd./Sturgeon River
2-can they drop our vehicle at either Maskinonge or Matagamasi
3-changes and/or pointers to the crossover from Smoothwater to Gamble.
4-opinions on water levels on Ames Creek this year
5-any fishing tips.
The other option was to come out of Florence and go through Solace to the Sturgeon and then leave the Sturgeon at the crossover that brings one into Dougherty from the north. Amazing how the names escape me, too many lakes in my head I guess (or early dimentia!.
My outdoor ed. class left for Temagami today for five nights. I could not go for other reasons. Sounds like it is buggy up north, though.
Looking forward to your sage advice, canoe yoda.
Cheers from the Big Smoke
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1059

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I did reread it again and sort of figured it out and I sent you an email with a shuttle suggestion.
I haven't done the big crossover... went from Kaa to Sunnywater and then over to Smoothwater instead.

Ames had a decent amount of water in it in early May, but it came down pretty quickly. Pray for rain in August, while the rest of us pray for sunshine in September.

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 3:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

assuming reasonable summer water levels the long portage into gamble should be closer to 3k than 4k. this is due to progressive flooding by beavers of the swampy area close to gamble. having said that its been a few years since the last time i did it.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

sorry Ed,
I did not receive any e-mail. I changed my address last year, maybe you have the old one.
you can reach me at pumperyoni@live.ca.
While I have your attention, how long a drive is it with a canoe trailer up to the Sturgeon R. put-in on Gervais Rd. I would be driving up the #400 from Toronto. Do I drive thru Sudbury? Around to the west??
Any help, much appreciated.
I always pray for rain, I have a dug well.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 321

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

...to PineTorch and then down towards Pilgrim Creek...

That sounds like thirsty work, and it gets dry up in there in September. You have the Bluesucker-Yorston R. option.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1060

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I can't help you there fireman, I have not done that drive.I think the road goes off from the west side of Wanapitei Lake somewhere a bit north of Capreol.
Go to the MNR Forestry website, click on the drop down map for the Sudbury Forest Management Unit and then click on the Values Map that includes roads . Scan up to the Sturgeon River crossing just below Hamlow and then scan back to see where you can get onto the road.

Or you can go here:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 3c.htm
to see Brians easy to read map....
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Actually, after re-considering, I am hoping to convince my group to leave Florence and head over to the Sturgeon via BlueSucker and Solace Lake Park. From there to the Stouffer Crossover and back through the Chiniguchi system. It seems a lot less problematic water level-wise and I am not such a great fan of slogging through muskeg as I once was.
I took a look at the route up to the Sturgeon put-in, Brian puts it at two hours from Capreol.
I think the extra time justifies the jump on the trip. It would take three or four days to make it up that far from Maskinonge I imagine.
Appreciate the input. Twin Falls to Stouffer is a nice run on the river, good fishing at all the falls.
 Link to this message

bushwacked

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hello there.Capreol to Sturgeon is approx. 1.5 hrs if the road is good. Watch for log trucks as they will be working at that time.The road is in great shape and easily passible by 2 wd. I small pit located a few hundred m before river is a good spot if u want to leave a vehicle. Part of our trapline so we r in the area at that time as well. As far as shuttle service feel free to email me for more details at tonkadog_1@hotmail.com Good luck

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home