Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2011 * South Muskego Route < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jlockie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi there!

I am looking for some info on a route that will include South Muskego.

What I'm hoping to do is come in through Lady Evelyn and into Walshe. From there:

Walshe - Three Knob - Sirdevan lake - Lynx - cole - turner - eag;e - little eagle - to Whitewater, and then out to anima nipissing.

Are these portages reasonable? Also, with a group of 15 year old campers approximately how long might it take?

I'd appreciate any and all input, so thanks in advance.
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 50

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've done a similar route but went LE-Goss-Ferguson-Isbister-Barter-Turner-Eagle-Shal low-Harris-Anima Nip. The first portage from LE-Goss was overgrown but still doable thanks to flagging tape. From there to Barter portages were good, but hard to find. The rest of the way the portages got even better.

You could do the trip in 2 days but it would be a steady go. 3 days would be a bit more fun.
 Link to this message

jlockie

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 8:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks! That's helpful simonb.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 286

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 9:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Do some searching on here, I think Ed MacPherson did an extensive trip through that area about 5 years ago and has written on it here. He's away for a month though I believe.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

jlockie, i did your exact route about 10 years ago. the portages were well used at that time and i don't imagine that would have changed. i think we did it in 3 days (camped on sirdevan, turner, anima nippissing if i recall correctly).
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1350

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The toughest portages will probably be between Walsh and Lynx.
 Link to this message

jlockie

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks guys! I saw the map that is on this site, and found it totally helpful. A little more research let me know that the portages are a bit harder to find, but in decent condition. Any other tips or tricks for the area would be appreciated, but I'm already feeling more confident.

Thanks again guys! The community here at this website is really amazing, and the love of Temagami and positive wilderness experiences is tangible.

Have a great season if I don't hear from you again!

- Jamie
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 51

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The most important tip is to learn to recognize an axe blaze on a tree. A lot of the Muskego portages are not well travelled enough to keep the undergrowth down. If you learn to see the blazes, you can walk the portage with your head up, instead of focusing on the ground looking for a barely discernible path.

This should allow you to enjoy the scenery a little more, and reduce the annoying habit of T-boning a tree with your canoe!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home