Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2011 * Which variation is quicker? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

johnmillsbro

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2011 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi. Thanks in advance. I am curious which of the following routes would be quicker. Diamond Lake to Bob Lake to Unnamed Lake to Shish Kong to Obabika vs Diamond Lake to Wakimika to Wakimika river to Obabika. Assume we are walking each portage twice.
Ideas? Thanks
John
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, July 4, 2011 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Unless you paddle at a really slow pace, or the weather introduces a lot of chop and impairs water travel, I'd say the Wakimika route. There are only two relatively short portages and while the Diamond to Unnamed one is kind of rough for it's length, the rest is all paddling, maybe with a liftover or two on the river. If you were single carrying, it may be more of a toss up.
 Link to this message

johnmillsbro

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, July 4, 2011 - 4:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Marty.... I'd love to single carry... unfortunately my father packs too many of his kitchen gadgets (5 different fruit peelers, large solid wood cutting board, full set of wustof knives, etc...) and high-end cookware (10-piece All-Clad set)... then he is too tired to cook after portaging and settles on peanut butter and jelly on crackers..
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, July 4, 2011 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It is a toss up in my opinion. A lot of paddling versus a lot of portaging. But....you need to return, in which case, doubling back would be regrettable. In which case, you definitely want to portage from Bob to Obabika and return via Wakimika. It is a uphill slog off of Obabika, especially doing it three times with your mobile kitchen. Have fun, indulge in a sweatlodge at Obabika. A wonderful campsite.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, July 5, 2011 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

John, you mention Diamond as your starting point? Where are you putting in? If you are putting it at Sandy Inlet, on the return trip you could paddle down Obabika and do the carry to Obabika Inlet and the Devil Bay Carry for either getting to Obabika or returning if you go through Diamond for the other route. Both portages are pretty easy, pretty much dead flat and the Devil Bay one can cut off some open water on Temagami.
 Link to this message

johnmillsbro

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, July 5, 2011 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Starting point.. Sandy Inlet, sharp rock, diamond, then either bob lake through to obabika or diamond to wakimika through to obabika. Does Wakimika river pose any problems late august? We are restricted in time to about 5 or 6d...we would like to have some time to relax...If the difference in times between the two variations is less than a couple hours...then its moot I suppose...

Cheers
John
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, July 6, 2011 - 1:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

wakimika r. in august should be no problem, maybe a couple of easy liftovers.
as fireman suggests why don't you come into obabika via bob and head out via wakimika? no worries going upstream, there's virtually no current on the wakimika river.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, July 6, 2011 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That is more than enough time for that loop. Heck, once I started at Sharp Rock Inlet, paddled down to Devil Bay, portaged into the inlet, paddled up to the campsite by the old growth on Obabika, and had time for a few hours to explore the forest.

The Wakimaka R is really more like a creek with no detectable current, nothing more. Travel in either direction is easy and involves nothing more than a liftover or two.
 Link to this message

johnmillsbro

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, July 6, 2011 - 7:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The plan was to proceed down obabika to obabika inlet, to devil bay and back to sandy inlet. I probably wasnt clear.
thanks john

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home