Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2011 * Temagami Northwest - Trip Notes < Previous Next >

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 121

Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

HI all,

Just got back from my 12-day trip. Thought I'd jot down these highlights.

1. Smoothwater Lake campsite: Situated beside pool-and-drop creek and fronted by a sandy beach. The campsite also features tables and chairs. According to a plaque on a nearby tree, the site is dedicated to a camper who died in the 90's. I assume the table and chairs were made in his honour.

2. Scarecrow Lake: A wild-looking lake with a wild-looking island campsite that provides a northerly view of the lake.

3. River between LittleScarecrow & Hamlow: A pretty and pushy river, orange and ochre rocks. Lost my GPS here.

4. Einer Lake: Pristine and quiet, rocky cliffs.

5. Solace Lake: IMO, the northerly part of the lake is prettier than the southern.

6. Portages between Maggie & Bill: Grueling portages, hilly, lots of blowdown. Funny navigating an 18.5 and a 17 foot canoe around/over/through them.

7. Maggie Lake: A narrow lake, green forest hiding a seemingly rockless shore.

8. Benner Lake: Wild and strange, punctuated by small craggy islands. One of my favourites. No pictures though; son dropped camera before Benner.

9. Pilgrim & Bluesucker Lakes: Great campsites with splendid northerly views of the Florence heights.

10. Talking Falls: Our daytrip trook us through a fun mix of wadiing and liftovers from Bluesucker.

11. Bluesucker Portage: Cruel and exhausting.

12. Florence Lake: There are no words. The take teems with emotion, wonder, and awe... otherworldly beauty. Camped on "the campsite." Left my carbon paddle on the sunken cabin campsite.

13. Duff Lake: Untamed, a hidden gem of sorts.

14. Small series of rapids on South Evelyn: Great place to stop and eat; however, we didn't due to the black bear who was also there enjoying the sights.

15. First set of rapids on North Evelyn: Beautiful setting, though we realized that we had missed our turn and had gone too far.

16: Chance Lake: The 50 meter portage to the car was the best of the trip.

17: No people after day 2. Only two hours of rain the entire trip.

You can view a few pictures here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.101502288 57646222.315233.532771221&l=2f6f1b979c

I just like to add that the trip would not have been possible without the help of brian, ed, simonb, curly, and alscool. Thanks a lot guys!

Paul
 Link to this message

mehingan

Post Number: 17

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

what were the water levels like going to florence lake?
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 122

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There were no issues with water levels anywhere. No issues on South/North Evelyn after Florence or the Montreal before Smoothwater.
 Link to this message

jimmm

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've never paddled in the area south of Florence, but it's something I will do someday. What makes the Bluesucker portage "cruel and exhausting"? Is it the distance? the terrain? bugs?
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 311

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What makes the Bluesucker portage "cruel and exhausting"? Is it the distance? the terrain? bugs?

yes.....yes and yes
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 333

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 5:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What makes the Bluesucker portage "cruel and exhausting"?

the part that is wide open and scorching hot over a bog is quite remarkable.
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 52

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think the cruelest part of the Bluesucker portage is that it starts out as a fantastic single track that lulls you into thinking it will be an easy one. Then it drops into a boot sucking muskeg. When you finally get across the mud, you find yourself overjoyed to be climbing a steep rocky hill!
 Link to this message

mehingan

Post Number: 19

Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 9:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hey yellow canoe my dad found ur paddle up in florence...we have it here in obabika now just let us know how to get it back to u.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 123

Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hey mehingan - wow, thanks - contacted you on FB - thanks!
 Link to this message

gmt903

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 7, 2011 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Yellowcanoe -- saw this post originally on FOT Facebook. Had a couple of questions:

1) where did you put in / take out?
2) Are your highlights in the order of the direction you canoed? (I was trying to follow on my canoe route map, but couldn't quite get the whole trip identified.)

Thanks!
 Link to this message

browaan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, August 8, 2011 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

where is "the campsite" on our fav. lake?
 Link to this message

browaan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 8, 2011 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I assume you accessed on Deep Lake rd. Where did you leave your car?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home