Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Canoeing with Kids < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 6, 2004tess10 04-6-04  10:56 am
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

Link to this message

hap_wilson

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 5:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

My kids have been in the canoe since they were born. They're quite maleable at an early age...two years ago we took our 18mn & 3 year old on a 450 km. Albany River trip and we were fine so long as we stopped often to stretch our legs. Bugs don't have to be an issue if you invest in a quality bug jacket, and use a bug-awning at the campsite for them to play in. Lots of GORP, some key canoe toys and paddles to dip into the water. We also still use a "family" bed - 3 therma-rests covered with sheets and a quilt...kids are great "heaters" on cold nights!
 Link to this message

tess

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 9:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wow Hap, you have young children! You are very lucky. I miss those days...

You are so right...kids are maleable at that age. I think it's because you are the most important thing in their world at that time...so what's better than a canoe trip for unavoidable and 100% closeness?
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 22

Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks folks for the tips. It sounds like being together is more important than the destination, I could probably camp a mile down the lake from the cottage and he would be happy. Having said that though, what is the condition of the Red Squirrel road, can I drive my two wheel drive family van to Red Squirrel Lake?
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 21

Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

bush_pilot,
Last yea the road was good, as a gravel road could be. We had no problem. My understanding is that they are hauling logs out on the road now and unless the trucks have destroyed it it should be fine. The logging company probably has graded it so thier trucks do not take be bad a beating.
Bill
 Link to this message

ed_andersen

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 8:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I waited until my boys were 5 and 8 before taking them on a trip. We covered Sharp Rock, Diamond, Wakimika, Obabika and back to Boatline that first trip in 5 days. We were not alone. There were three canoes on our trip: my canoe with my two sons, a friend with his son, and another friend solo. All of the boys carried day packs and kept with us on the portages. I always asked them to swing their paddle if I swung mine. Now they are 10 and 13. Last year the 13 year old sterned and carried a canoe. I wish that I had done a better job of making it "fun" but they still seem to enjoy going and we still try hard to camp early so that endless swimming and playing is an option. My wife has been with us on one or two trips over the years, but it is not her cup of tea. As a middle aged father who loves the wilderness I am torn between imparting the love, teaching good values of workmanship, spending time with those I love, playing in the woods and challenging myself. I think that my boys are learning most of those things from me.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home