Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2011 * Advice on Temagami Route < Previous Next >

Link to this message

shiningtree

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 3:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey all,

I'm thinking of a loop in from Smoothwater -> Scarecrow -> Solace -> Florence -> Smoothwater. It's pieced together from a few routes in Hap's book. I've sketched out the route here on a google map [1]. I don't know the area well, so I'm hoping to get a sanity check from folks who have Temagami experience. The big concern is water levels. I'm hoping to run in late august and I'm concerned about now having enough water around Scarecrow and Regan, as well on the Florence River from Florence Late to the Lady Evelyn River.

Any advice or thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks very much,

Matt

[1] - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=20079468453691 7619476.0004a8dc23172c024b6f0&msa=0&ll=47.367664,- 80.525665&spn=0.168118,0.445976
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are doing pretty much the same route in September. We are putting in at Gervais Rd. and the sturgeon River then over to bluesucker up and back through smoothwater, down scarecrow back to sturgeon and out to the south/wolf lake. i think you will be fine although the Regan lake crossover is unfamiliar to me. there always seems to be lots of water above Duff Lake out to the Lady Evelyn. anyway, I would try to avoid putting in way to the north as it is a really far drive. good luck. it is beautiful country up there. just tough overgrown portages, nothing that requires anything but calm perserverance.
 Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 15

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 9:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sounds like a fun trip. You'll have some portaging for sure. I did a somewhat similar trip a few years ago, except in the opposite direction and down the South Lady Evelyn River; instead of crossing the Sunnywater traverse. But that was a high water year. Best to stay away from South Lady Evelyn this late in the season.

From Montreal River/Beauty Lake Rd access to Regan Lake the trip is straightforward as are the portages. Ishpatina Ridge and the tower shouldn't be missed. The best portages were into and out of Regan Lake along flat ATV trails. The shortcut from Regan to Solace has some obscured carries that need a little patience, but they are there. Carrying Bar to Broadbent Lake was steep. The most northerly island on Solace has a camp with an outhouse; where we saw Eagles. Bill Lake to Maggie was steep and rugged. Saw a moose on Rodd Lake. Benner Lake was very pretty. The portage from Bluesucker Lake to Florence was wildly varied if not rugged. I like Florence. Saw otters on the Florence River.

Map, directions, pix of access: http://www.paddling.net/launches/showLaunch.html?l id=15542
Ottertooth archive report: http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/13327. html?1221747503
youtube Temagami slideshow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jlwGqYGd28
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

did this exact route in late august about 10 years back, except we went right out to the sturgeon and to solace via twin falls, selkirk etc.
i wouldn't worry about water levels on s. lady evelyn or anywhere on your route as long as you don't mind the occasional bit of wading over shallow bits. watch out for wildlife as gunney says- we've seen numerous bears through there so put your food up a tree.
the portage from gamble up towards sunnywater is shorter than it used to be due to beaver activity but it is still very arduous especially east to west. you might want to consider camping on gamble, then the next night on sunnywater (western campsite is best).
i think we took about 10-12 days (relaxed pace, double portages). i wouldn't rush if you can help it; this route arguably covers a good portion of the best that temagami has to offer.
 Link to this message

shiningtree

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 8, 2011 - 1:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great. Thanks for the advice all. Much appreciated.
 Link to this message

shiningtree

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey all,

Thanks for the great advice. Had a great trip in beautiful country. Here's a video of our travels if you're interested:

http://vimeo.com/shiningtree/temagami-2011

Matt
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1102

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 3:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nice video shiningtree:
I saw it on CCR a few minutes ago. Thanks for posting. Looks like you had a good time.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

yeah, nice work.
so did you stick to your original route? i was wondering about the gamble end of the long portage towards sunnywater, is it still flooded/canoeable or did you have to skirt along a bog in deep muck?
 Link to this message

shiningtree

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 8:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I stuck to the original route. Except we did the loop in the other direction, particularly so we'd be walking downhill on them long slog from Sunnywater to Gamble. It was surely muddy, but not flooded out, at least I never noticed anything out of the ordinary. But honestly, at that point, I was pretty beat and we were moving fast, trying to get into site with daylight left, so I don't know how much I remember from that day.

An amazing journey. Hard work, but oh, how the worst of days out there tower over my days in the city. Life on the shield ... does it get better?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

nope.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 8:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I gotta' say, the advent of small digital video cameras has created a whole new aspect to canoe tripping. Although it still remains essential a private and personal experience, my joy at watching your movie is hard to describe.
We were there just before you, turning back at Gamble due to an injury and heading out to Camp Wanapatei, but I have done that crossover several times and I recognized a section of portage trail you included. Particularly steep climb alongside a rock wall just west of Sunnywater Lake.
Beautiful music, as well.
Love the snow, makes you look hardcore.
Well done, man.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home