Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2011 * Elk in Temagami area? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 59

Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2011 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Saw an Elk on Island Lake (near Temagami River) a week ago. First time I have ever seen one there. I know they have the Burwash herd in the French and they have a program in Sudbury to re-populate elks but is it becoming more common to see them up in the Temagami area?

Truly spectacular...and what a guttural sound that male made...so much different than a moose.

Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2011 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wow! What a cool thing to see in the Temagami region. First siting I've ever heard of. Did you get a pic?
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 60

Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2011 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Unfortunately not, I did have my camera but I did not see it early enough and it hightailed into the woods. I came out of my kayak and followed it in but the bush was very thick so although I saw it two more times, no pics..

Been up there 44 years but this is the first elk I have ever seen. quite amazing
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, August 5, 2011 - 8:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Last year the MNR received reports of elk near kukagami lake. So far nothing confirmed as far east as Temagami, but it is possible they are from the Burwash herds. Some of those animals are collared, perhaps it's only a matter of time before they pick up that data.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 299

Posted on Friday, August 5, 2011 - 8:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Those elk better be careful. When I was on Island last weekend I heard wolves howling to the north. And there was the most amazing electrical storm to the SE. Surreal night.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, August 5, 2011 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

if the elk return it will be very good for the wolves as the elk travel in large herds.
if you google burwash herd there is quite a bit of info on the history of these elk. for example i had no idea that elk were common around madoc 200 years ago...
does anyone know if these elk are the same as what are called woodland caribou?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home