Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2011 * Sucket Gut to Lady Evelyn - secret portage? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gmt903

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, August 7, 2011 - 9:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just got back from a 8-day trip in the Lady Evelyn Area. One of our days we paddled from an island site on Sucker Gut up and around the narrow bit into Lady Evelyn Lake proper (and down into Sugar Lake). When we were at Temagami Outfitters one of the women there told us about a portage (un-marked on the b/w canoe route map or the topo of the area) that goes from Sucker Gut into Lady Evelyn. We made plans to do this portage, but decided last minute to just paddle up Sucker Gut into Northern Lady Evelyn (despite possible wind) instead of risking an unmarked portage trail that we know nothing about. We paddled for about 6 hours that day -- from Sucker Gut to the campsite on the lake right before Sugar. It was a long day, but the lake was remarkably calm all day. Unbelievable.

Anyone know about this secret portage and whether it actually exists? If so, anyone know of the conditions, approximate length, etc.?

I tried to upload an image of the location of the portage, but it was too big for the forum, so I uploaded it on Tinyurl.com. Here's the link: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29njpe9&s=7 (sorry for all the ads).

Thanks!
Gina
 Link to this message

canoe2

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 3, 2011 - 6:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Are you referring to the 500 and 400 from Willow Island Lake through an unnamed (beautiful) lake that takes you to the bottom end of Lady Ev? They are certainly marked (except where you can tell someone has stolen the little plastic sign on the unnamed laked) and almost a highway they are so well travelled...
 Link to this message

canoe2

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, September 3, 2011 - 6:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry just got your site opened... not familiar with this possible portage and would only want to try it on a calm day... Lady Ev can be nasty... we just did a trip from the Mtn across to Sugar and chose the Willow Island portages instead of the trip around. Great trip, good portages and didn't have to cross acres/km of open lake... I will ask one of the MNR Backcountry crew about it though... see what they say and get back to you!
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 349

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 - 1:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It is not part of the FOT inventory of routes.
I am interested to find out for sure.

I thought I would post the pic to help demonstrate to others...

Link to this message

gmt903

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, alscool!

Sorry I'm just responding now... haven't been on Ottertooth in a while.

So canoe2 -- no, that portage is not the one I'm referring to. I know what you are talking about... that's how we came into Willow Island Lake area. See the picture that alscool posted to see what I'm referring to.

So no one's sure? The woman at TO recommended it, but of course, she was local, and has spent her life traveling these waters. Since it wasn't marked officially on our map, we didn't want to take a chance that we'd have to bushwhack... we don't have the equipment to do so.
 Link to this message

gmt903

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I hear LE can be a beast. The day we canoed it (camped on the island that's circled in the picture and went north up and around all the way to the little unnamed lake before Sugar -- it was a long day!) LE was completely still. We were canoeing on glass. The only time the water ripped when when a motor boat went by. I couldn't believe it, considering all that I had heard from locals and Hap Wilson's book about the high winds on that lake. I have a video of it -- I'll upload it to Youtube and link to it here.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1364

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The route on the map above is a nastawgan and no longer open all the way through. The first portage out of Lady Evelyn Lake is still in use by Lady E anglers.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home