Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2011 * Complaints about campsites, markers, etc. < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 12, 2011ed25 08-12-11  5:33 pm
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

Link to this message

gmt903

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I really have appreciated the discussion.

In regards to what grncnu said:
my particular bugbear has to do with the very recent introduction of fees for the use of backcountry areas by no-trace wilderness canoeists. until 5 or 6 years ago we all had the right to use these areas for this purpose (no-trace wilderness canoe-camping) to our heart's content, freely.
now we have consented to a reduction in our rights in exchange for a dubious promise by the government to perform "maintenance" which has been perfectly well performed by the users for generations.

I agree wholeheartedly. My husband and I are not recreational canoe trippers. I consider us "no trace" canoe trippers. And there is a frustration with having to pay park fees. I guess my point is if I pay them, I expect to see something as a result, otherwise, let me pay nothing and then I won't complain about campsites and portage trails -- it truly *will* be the responsibility of the tripper.

In regards to the discussion about equipment, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I respect everyone's philosophy regarding the equipment they choose to take on a canoe trip. In some of these pictures I see tarps and nets and multiple bags, wood crates, etc. My husband and I just don't trip like that. We take what is necessary for us to enjoy a 7-8 day canoe trip on the lakes. We're very minimalist. I'm not saying one is better than the other. But, to fireman's comment about it not being too heavy to carrying an axe, hatchet or bow saw -- for someone who lugs wannigans around their forehead on portage trails -- no -- an axe or hatchet or bow saw is not extra weight. But for us... well, as I said, we carry a folding saw. Actually, it did break on our 6th night -- and we fixed it.

Again, please don't take what I said above as criticism -- everyone trips differently. Before we left my husband and I contemplated whether it was necessary to carry a plastic container of crackers -- it was about the extra weight.

And yes -- we do use our stove a lot. In fact, the only meals we cook using the fire are reflector oven meals -- pizza, biscuits. Fires are usually more atmosphere for us -- and of course smores. So I guess our main concern is not firewood -- if it's there and we can collect it or cut it up - great. If not -- small fire that night.

(We also only canoe trip -- in Temagami anyway -- in the summer, so we aren't really relying on a fire for warmth and to dry ourselves.)

But as I said above, this discussion has been passionate and a pleasure to be a part of. There's a lot going on in this world that can get you down, and to know there is a place out there as beautiful as Temagami is very calming and reassuring to me. I'm jealous of those of you who get to enjoy it more than once a year!
 Link to this message

gmt903

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

@Ed -- what was the helicopter there for? Nothing serious I hope.
 Link to this message

lost_canoe

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed had a new wannigan/bucket flown in. The old one is seen floating down those rapids he posted!!

(Message edited by Lost canoe on August 12, 2011)
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 2:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

fireman, i appreciate and partially agree with your "don't sweat the small stuff" attitude, i realize we're not talking about war, starvation or massive disasters here.
however at the same time i think we should all be very wary of any erosion in our basic rights, however trivial they may seem in the greater scheme of things. i grew up thinking that free access to the communally-owned back country was my basic right as a canadian, a freedom that was taken for granted by my canoeing role-models like tom thompson, eric morse, sigurd olsen etc.
maybe it's just the symbolic aspect; the fact that the freedom to travel around freely on land that belongs to no-one and therefore everyone, just seems so basic.
to me giving up that right voluntarily IS a big deal, even though yeah, i'm a middle-class urban canadian and can afford it. as i said before i'd even be willing to pony up the 10 bucks if it was going to be spent preventing and prosecuting abuses and vandalism that really do threaten the back country. as to the very real priorities of the other contracting party (the government), i invite everyone to take a look at the google earth images of the makobe, especially around alexander lake- someone posted them recently in another thread.
for everyone on the forum temagami is a "pet" wilderness area, one we would not want to see destroyed or seriously compromised. well, many other people in north america have lived to see their particular "pet" areas devastated.
complacency and acquiescence are the tools of the devil, in short.
by the way i totally agree with you that the bruce trail is a fantastic model of how all of this can be, and once was, "done right". note that there are (so far as i know, as yet) no user fees for hiking or overnight camping on the trail, which in fact is almost entirely on private property. if the landowners along the bruce trail had the same attitude as the government, there would undoubtedly be exhorbitant fees! but these are typically generous people who "get" the concept that an established long-distance trail implies communal rights that supersede, or at least must be allowed to co-exist with, private property rights.
in the case of temagami's publicly-owned lands, the government does not even possess the right to be similarily generous, since it doesn't even own the land.
another excellent model is the inland waterways association in britain, which protects and rehabilitates canals and navigable rivers, with spectacular success since its founding just after the war.
gmt, it makes me extremely happy that people like you come from so far afield (and i have a particular soft spot for pennsylvania) to enjoy our local (semi) wilderness. i think you and the rest of us should raise questions about the current supposed regime of fees-for-maintenance and whether it is working or not.
as for wannigans (or wooden crates as gmt justifiably calls them), tump-lines and other primitive torture devices, i have bad memories from summer camp in haliburton in 1970-71...
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1079

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 8:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

lost canoe:
I can assure you that I did not lose my plastic bucket down any rapids.

The helicopter, on fire duty, was on track for a landing at Berens River IR, 12km to the north of us and aborted, landing almost on top of our tent.We were occupying the only visible spot of open area along the shoreline.
His low fuel alarm had gone off.
The bird dog plane he was working with came over a short time later to see what had happened and assess the situation. About an hour later a second helicopter came along from their fire attack base at Little Grand Rapids.....

If you look underneath the helicopter in the picture,there is a tethered fuel drum, visible only as a small dot.....

The pilot lowered the fuel drum very precisely beside the first machine then landed to let the engineer off while picking up the Manitoba Fire co-ordinator from the downed machine.......

Yes that's our tent in the picture. The small helicopter left and after a while the second one got going again.
This was a small beach strip, so we spent the next hour cleaning sand and debris out of everything and repegging our tent which was about to go airborne when these things left.

All in a days tripping......

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home