Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 3, 2012 * Sturgeon River by Bicycle < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, August 9, 2011 - 4:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=10 8&t=38675
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, August 9, 2011 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was thinking of going back and doing this whole trip again armed with a better map and see if you can get through from Camp One Lake going north to the Portelance Road. It requires a mile of bushwhacking between Centre and Stobie lakes. Does anyone have any advice on how the flies will be at the end of August and whether you can get through or not?

PT
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1067

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 8:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

pierre: I was reading your post on myccr and I thought you might like to see what Lower Goose looked like on May 3,2011.

The sand flats, with all the ATV uey's were buried under the river then.

Nice trip you and your son did. That was a long bike to get back to upper part of the river.
Well done.
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed, your pictures sure are cool. That is a heck of a lot of water. I see from the hydrometric data the level was about 5.9 metres. Did you run down the Sturgeon at that time?

It looks like some especially energetic friends and I may be doing the bike trip again on August 29th or so. I figure that now I know where the roads go we can do it in a day easily. Forewarned is four armed! I wonder how the biting flies will be.

PT
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1072

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 8:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have done the Upper Sturgeon to Obabika River in previous years on a few ocassions, but always in the early Spring.

The flys should mostly be gone by the end of August. Some years though, there is a second coming of black flies in late September.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 61

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great trip and report, something my buddy and I would do or may do. Canoeing up the Sturgeon a few years back was an amazing trip and we are planning a special return trip when I turn 50 in a few years..maybe we should a bycicling portion.

Thanks

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home