Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 3, 2012 * South Muskego trip report < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jimmm

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just returned from a short trip through the Muskego region. We did a small loop: Anima Nip - Whitewater - Little Eagle - Eagle - Shallow - Harris - Anima Nip.
All of the portages were relatively easy to find and follow, although the portages from Eagle - Shallow - Harris - Anima Nip were somewhat strenuous. It had just rained heavily, and the trails are very rocky which made things very slippery. These trails are more overgrown than the others that we did. I think the portage distances shown on the Ottertooth map are too low. They certainly felt longer than what was indicated. Water levels seemed to be low, so maybe this contributed to the extra length.
The campsite on Eagle Lk is a very nice spot. It's well used with room for several tents. We saw a mother bear with 2 cubs eating berries on the ridge, so we cancelled our plans to climb up there.
There's a nice sandy beach at the east end of Shallow Lk which made for a good rest stop. A group just ahead of us camped there the night before.
The portage between Harris and Anima Nip (shown on the map as 1200m) is particularly uneven/rocky. The end of the trail at Anima Nip is very narrow and muddy.
Outside of Anima Nip, we saw only 2 other canoes, a friendly family of 4 doing their 1st Temagami trip.
Overall this route was more strenuous than I had expected, but it's always nice to be out on the water.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

how were the bugs? i always have bad luck with them in that area. though i have not done shallow-harris.
 Link to this message

jimmm

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The mosquitoes were a bit of an issue in some of the low/wet areas of the portages, especially Shallow-Harris-Anima Nip. Maybe a bit worse than normal for this time of year, but overall they were tolerable.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home