Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 3, 2012 * Fishing north of Chiniguchi < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 9:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am going to do a loop starting at Button lake and northwest through Backdoor lake down the sturgeon, and then back to Button via the Pilgrim triangle. Does anyone have an opinion as to the fishing in this area? I am going in next week.
PT
 Link to this message

rossclan

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I travelled that route a few years ago. Caught some nice and lots of smallmouth bass when camped In Chin and Stouffer(island site). Coming down the Sturgeon we jigged at the bottom of rapids and caught walleye(pickerel) for dinner. Ate fish most nights. That was in August.
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 9:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sweet! Dougherty lake is called a "windex lake" on the map in the links. Does this mean it's a dead acid rain lake? Has the acid rain problem been alleviated in the last few years?
PT
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1361

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not sure if it is dead, but it has been hit hard by acid rain. Yes, the intense acid rain from back in the 1960s and 1970s was reduced, at least for Temagami, when the INCO superstack was built in Sudbury. Many lakes have been able to recover to varying degrees.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 121

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dougherty is one of the lakes that, due to the underlying geology, was not able to neutralize the acid rain of the 60s and 70s. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a "dead lake", it usually just means that the Lake Trout populations have died off. Dougherty, like other acid-killed lakes in the area (Donald Lake, Wolf Lake, Dewdney Lake, etc...) still have decent bass populations.
In the area North of Chiniguchi, Button and Adelaide are good bass lakes, and Frederick and Stouffer are both excellent bass and pike lakes.

(Message edited by micmac on August 28, 2011)
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 7:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is interesting. So what is the situation with Trout? I've travelled the Sturgeon a couple times and never noticed any schools of Brook Trout. Are there Brook Trout anywhere in the area? Have the Lake Trout recovered or are they present in areas further north?
PT
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 9:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

was just on dougherty a few days ago and there are plenty of loons so i suppose there must be fish.
since the first time i saw it in 95 i am pretty sure it has become slightly less of a fluorescent, electric blue; now it is just pleasantly blue (and in my opinion one of the most beautiful lakes in the whole region).
fishwise you might have good luck on parsons lake as we saw a couple of boats there as we passed through, they were fishing the shallow narrows of which there are several and looked happy.
as for the backdoor route, do not start up from stouffer too late in the day (like we did), as the water in the creek is very low and the portages are quite rough and time-consuming for their length.
beware: the sturgeon is now very low, very few of the rapids on your route are passible without substantial tracking or doing the portage. it will slow you down.
 Link to this message

rossclan

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, September 2, 2011 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

While camp camped on the main island in Stouffer we jigged up some nice size 3 lb smallmouth between island and shore in about 25 feet of water. We fished the Sturgeon for day and a half from Dougherty creek inlet downstream through lots of C1 and C2 and then another 10 km of slow water below Upper Goose to the carry into Maskinonge-to me this section of the Sturgeon was more walleye/pike temperatures-thats what i caught anyways. Will be interested to hear if you get any brookies.
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, September 5, 2011 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We didn't catch anything despite alot of fishing all the way through Dougherty, Frederick and Stouffer Lakes. We tried for a whole day in Stouffer and got completely skunked. We didn't see any animals except for two chipmunks and some birds of prey circling high. Finally on the Sturgeon we started catching smallmouth bass and we caught our fill. No Brookies were caught. We were all spinners and deep trawling lures. No live bait.
 Link to this message

rossclan

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, September 6, 2011 - 6:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sounds like a nice trip. Those days with no fish despite pounding the water can be discouraging, Good to see the Sturgeon made up for it.
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, September 6, 2011 - 9:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yeah it was a great trip. We all really enjoyed it. When we got to Parsons Lake we stopped in at the apparently abandoned prospectors cabin. We were intrigued by the condition of it. There were rifle shells lying around and full cans of food. Someone had built a newer house circa 1995? we guessed and that had subsequently collapsed. It was all 2x6 construction but built poorly. We wondered if the mining claim was active or whether anyone had planned to come back and whether any gold was ever taken out. It was the first time I had ever come across something like this so I was wondering if it was typical.

PT

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home