Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 3, 2012 * Wakimika River level < Previous Next >

Link to this message

oldboyscout

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello!!
Less than two weeks until I head for Temagami for my first time. Anyone know what the water level is in the Wakimika river? Is it still or will it be passable?
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 122

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 8:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Wakimika River holds it's water well all year.
I was up there last week, and there is still plenty of water...

I don't recall ever hearing that the Wakimika gets too shallow to paddle.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 347

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have seen the beaver dams create short mud flat sections in dry years but nothing that made it impassable.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1088

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Actually, there a couple of spots in the Spring where there is a problem getting under some tree falls but you can do a short portage (L/O)around them. In the lower Summer water you should be able to paddle under these tree falls. Also several other floating treefalls blocking the river were removed in early Spring , so all should be good on Wakimika.

The Wakimika is always an interesting river to travel up or down on because of creatures that live along it as it twists and turns it's way along.

Try your luck fishing in the pond in between Obabika and Wakimika Lake and also at the mouth of the river on the Obabika side.
 Link to this message

ramdnm

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 2:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was there last week and except for two beaver dams it was easy, plenty of water. I was able to get under the tree falls, the water appeared a couple of feet lower than high water. I wish we had stopped to fish - it looked like the pond would have produced some good fishing.
 Link to this message

oldboyscout

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 9:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks everyone!! I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief. And I will try the fishing for sure!!
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Did Wakimika river last week. Easy with fine water levels. A couple eay lift overs of beaver dams but no problems at all.

(Message edited by dergon darkhelm on September 15, 2011)
 Link to this message

oldboyscout

Post Number: 11

Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just returned. Water level was no problem and yes the lift overs were rather easy.

(Message edited by oldboyscout on September 18, 2011)
 Link to this message

ramdnm

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yesterday one of my sons showed me a video he had of me tripping and falling in on the first beaver dam on the Wakimika River - he also had audio comments and laughter to go alone with it...so depending on who you are beaver dams aren't always easy, even small ones. I won't be sharing the video. But it was great fun regardless of my clumsiness.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home