Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 3, 2012 * Chiniguchi: Southern Tracks Fishing < Previous Next >

Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 9:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi All,
I am going to be paddling the southern tracks of the Chiniguchi system this coming weekend. I know that this area has been hard hit by acid rain... I was wondering the quality of fishing for the southern tracks lakes. Mostly Matagamasi, Donald, Maskinonge and any other lake that may be worth getting my lines wet in.
Is Chiniguchi PP an operating park? Will I need permits to camp?

Regards,
Zach
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1089

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chiniguchi is a non -operating park. No permits needed just yet.

You might get some Bass in the NE corner of Mattagamasi (NE Branch) near where the big rock cliff is located.Can't help you with the other lakes.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 124

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 9:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

All these lakes are good fishing lakes - nothing spectacular, but decent fishing throughout.
Specifically, MNR has stocked Donald with Lake Trout, and I have personally caught several on Donald, all in the 3 pound range. Donald, unfortunately, sees heavy fishing pressure during the winter, but nobody really fishes it in the summer. Also, Donald is a smallmouth bass hotspot.
Matagamasi gets lots of fishing pressure, and I've never had much luck there, although I know there are plenty of bass.
Maskinonge has pickeral, bass, lake trout and pike - this will likely be the best fishing lake of the route.
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 19

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info.

I read that there are musky in Maskinonge is that true? Are there any other lakes that have musky?
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 125

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've never heard of anyone fishing for or catching Musky in Maskinonge, but that's not to say they don't exist...
 Link to this message

bushwacked

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, September 1, 2011 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

All the lakes are very good for fishing. Matog does get pressure but not as much as people say. Bass are hitting very good now.Drag a line through Carl and Edna you may be surprised.Carafel lake has musky and it flows into Maskinonge so... Have a good trip. Note that trout is closed on the 31 of Aug!
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2011 - 1:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Try this site. Notes that Carafel has musky.
http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_online/fishing/ fishingExplorer_en.html

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home