Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 3, 2012 * Wakimika -Obabika River to Wawiagama Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

riverun

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, September 8, 2011 - 6:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I read about this route in Hap Wilson's book and was just wondering if it is passable in September and if anybody has done this route before. Specifically how many days would it take?
 Link to this message

riverun

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 8, 2011 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was also considering doing the upper Temagami River and over to Red Cedar Lake. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Going up the Wawiagama creek is always a PITA in low water. I've done it as late Sept. 10th ish before though and have always been successful. It's just the amount of lifting, dragging, and cursing you're willing to put up with.

The rest of it....Wakimika, Wakimika river, Obabika, Obabika river, all should be just fine
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oh ..as for time. Probably two datys one night without toomuch work. Camp on the Obabika on that sight half way down. No worries. :-)
 Link to this message

riverun

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That's great! Thanks for the advice! We are leaving tommorrow morning. I let you know how it goes.
 Link to this message

riverun

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just wanted to let everyone know that I successfully completed this route without any major problems. There were a few lift overs on the obabika but it was entirely navigable and was an absolute pleasure. The Wawiagama River (ditch) was only about 2" to 6" deep in many places. This made for a long and harrowing journey up-river. We were unable to paddle for any part of the river and were forced to line the entire portion from obabika to the Lake. There was at least one lift-over from every 100 ft. to 200 ft. of travel. I would say that it took us 2 to 3 hours of very strenuous lifting and taking out. Good luck to anyone willing to try it!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home