Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 3, 2012 * 2012 Temagami Trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

p6561

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi,

I m starting to plan a 2012 canoe trip and am considering the Temagami area. We normally do 10-12 days at a time and have been to Quetico, BWCAW, Algonquin, Wabakimi, Woodland Caribou and Atikaki. I'm looking for advice on the best way to learn more about the Temagami area. Can someone point me in the right direction? We like to fish, will do between 50 and 75 miles with a couple layovers, prefer smaller lakes and rivers/creeks and prefer real back country.

Thanks, Tim}
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

get hap wilson's guidebook to the area, the updated version is called "canoeing, kayaking and hiking temagami", which has been the standard reference for 35 years.
a couple hours going through this website and its forum would also be time well spent!
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Agree with above.

Many, many 10-12 day options that can give you a lot of looks.

If I had that kind of time again I would do the "unnamed lakes" 1-13 through pinetorch and out. That was as remote as I've been in the Temag. area

iirc it's a variant of his Florence/ Yorston route..... check it out ...

Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 1.htm

look at this map -- just my pet recommendation .... plenty of other options too :-)
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

considering your stated preferences i would agree that dergon's route suggestion might just possibly be the best 10-12 day first temagami trip you could do. it's not all on that map though- i believe he means temagami access- obabika-wakimika-florence (via the "13 lakes" including pinetorch)-lady evelyn river-diamond-temagami access.
the nice thing about this route is that it includes a solid 3 of what would be on most people's top 10 or so temagami highlights- i.e. the pinetorch (13 lakes) route, florence lake and the lady evelyn river north or south branches.
you could also access talking falls on the upper yorston (see map) and maple mountain; the trip could equally well be started and finished at mowat landing.
i'd say 12 days with layovers though, not 10.
 Link to this message

p6561

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks to all for the advice.
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes -- I did mean the unnamed lakes 1-13 as a part of a longer trip entering and exiting from one of the standard locations. Mowat landing would be just fine.

(Message edited by dergon_darkhelm on September 30, 2011)
 Link to this message

p6561

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 1, 2011 - 3:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey guys, another question. What do you do for maps of the Temagami area. Do I go for government topo maps or does someone else produce them?
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, October 1, 2011 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The "canoeing the temagami area" map and photocopies from Hap's book have gotten me (and many other travellers) through without incident.

Some people get the CMS topos, but I would definately call them optional.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, October 1, 2011 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

i would get the 1:50,000 government maps as well, at least for some areas like the 13 lakes and even lake temagami where navigating around all the islands can be a challenge until you get to know it. for one thing the constant reference to grid north is handy, and the 1 kilometre grid is useful for estimating distance.
you have to be selective or you'll end up travelling on a long trip with 10 maps, but they have a level of detail that makes it easier to figure out where you are and avoid time-consuming wrong turns.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1097

Posted on Sunday, October 2, 2011 - 8:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You can also print your own topos from the NRCAN website.
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/ma p/
Takes a bit of playing around to learn how to use it, but you can expand the maps up to 1:40,000 scale for good resolution and print only the sections you need to bring with you on 8x11 paper.

Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, October 4, 2011 - 5:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nice link, Ed... added to my favorites bar

Make those topos free and it's a no brainer. :-)

(Message edited by dergon_darkhelm on October 4, 2011)
 Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You may also want to take a look at the Chrismar Adventure Map Series. They have four maps which cover the entire Temagami area at 1:80,000. In addition they are waterproof. Use their map locator guide to decide which is best for you.

http://www.chrismar.com/
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1367

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It has been said before here, but is worth repeating: Chrismar are full of errors.
 Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 22

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 8:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oops! Thanks for noting the error prone Chrismar maps. I wasn't aware of their shortfalls and will henceforth refrain from recommending them.
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have been using The Chrismar Adventure series maps for Algonquin Park canoe trips the past few years and I find them to be good; Better than the traditional Algoqnuin Park map printed by the Friends of Algonquin Park.
 Link to this message

dgpile

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 7:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

When you start comparing old maps, older topo maps, maps like Friends of Algonquin Canoe Route Map, Chrismar, etc. you'll find errors. Chrismar renamed Algonquin's "Cradle Lake", which is down near Bonnechere, "Craddle Lake". When the Algonquin Canoe Routes Map was made Acme Lake was flat out moved to another lake east and now you paddle through "unnamed pond" but the topos and the Canadian Geographic names database still shows what the older topos show, the canoe route passes through the original Acme Lake. There are still mental fist fights over whether Algonquin's Red Pine Bay should still be shown as Red Pine Lake and on and on. Map makers, if not cartographers, appear to be somewhat cavalier about what they do or if they correct errors when pointed out.
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 8:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes...agreed. Officially I think it is the Geographic Names Branch that can "legally" decide on a correct name but they often don;t address local features such as small lakes, waterfalls and so on. But also it would be time consuming and maybe not even possible to get an offical designation from that branch in many cases. So map publishers often use their own "opinion" in naming some of these. Sometimes naming an previously un-named lake for instance..obviously others might have other names for such locations too. Interestingly my bet is that the authors of any of these maps can probably give the "reason" why they use a certain name. (rightly or wrongly,there is usually a justification) In some cases though where they are not aware of a historical or local name, they may make up a name. That is my guess. And then there is the other topic of politically correct names, First Nations names and so on. A quick look at at Craig MacDonald's well researched historical map of Temagami is what I mean by that concept. Seems that sometimes the "real" name is matter of opinion.
Since we are talking about Alogonquin, I wonder what the process was a few years back to get well known Butt Lake changed to Ralph Bice lake?
I wonder if that was done in a legal way via the Geographic names branch, or whether there was just enough "Support" for the name change to simply "do it" ? If Craig is still at Algonquin, he would be the one to ask since he is an expert on this topic.
 Link to this message

speeddemon

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, April 3, 2012 - 1:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Watch out for the black bears in the Pinetorch Area.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home