Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 3, 2012 * How heavy is hunting traffic < Previous Next >

Link to this message

martin_57

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was planning to do some camping off red squirrel rd the week of Oct 10th, are hunters an issue to worry about?
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 331

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 - 7:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'd be wear'n bright orange...
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1098

Posted on Thursday, October 6, 2011 - 8:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

With all those guns, testosterone and booze out there in the moose camps, I would expect that the medi-vac services will be busy for the next few weeks, as 50,000 hunters prowl the bushes in the province.
 Link to this message

martin_57

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 6, 2011 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the input. I think I'll avoid the problem and go to a provincial park.
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 53

Posted on Thursday, October 6, 2011 - 1:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We went last year st this time and if you get off the beaten track you will be fine. The hunters carry a LOT of gear, so they don't go too far in the bush. Find a spot with no ATV access and you will be by yourself.

If you were planning on camping close to the road, it is a busy place that time of year!
 Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was in the Twinkle Lake area from Oct 11-15 and was surprised by the number of hunters and traffic. There was a pickup w/trailers and ATVs at Twinkle, a camp further north up the road, an RV at the gravel pit, a camp with 3 more trucks just south of the gravel pit, and another truck w/tow behind camper a couple of km below. And when I got to Linger Lake there was yet another camp with a jeep and motor boat on the west shore. Seagram, Asabi, Long Lake, and Talking Falls were very quiet, though.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 354

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Right on, how did you find the access?
 Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 21

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The road access map for the Twinkle Lake put-in was perfect. At times, my Subaru Forester was challenged.

About 7 or 8 km north of Grassy Bridge, where the road comes closest to and overlooks the Sturgeon River, a portion of the road bed (1+m) has slid down the embankment. The road, there, is plenty wide enough, but I could see being taken by surprise if one were caught unaware. It is flagged with red tape.

There are some rough sections before the last gravel pit and it's very rough afterwards. At one point I got out and rolled a dozen cantaloupe sized rocks to the side. The final 1.3 km narrows so branches will brush both sides of one's vehicle with minor paint damage a possibility. My Forester is 11 years old and already has several dings, so it didn't bother me.

The gravel parking area is 15m past the ATV trail leading down to Twinkle and was more spacious than I expected. There is room for 4 vehicles. The middle section of the access trail has been badly eroded by ATVs.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 355

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 9:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The proximity into the back country is the reward.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1105

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 3:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gunney: The hole in the road was there in the Spring this year and its existence is a good reason to keep your speed down on these back roads.I came up on some other water troughs (small washouts) on the Grassy road and if you are going along too fast you could do some serious damage to your suspension.

The other problem with these back roads is tree falls can and do occur anywhere so you need to be prepared to stop for these as well. A good reason to carry a saw and axe in your vehicle where you can reach them easily.

The trail down to Twinkle is actually an ATV trail. Canoeists use it because it is there and available so we should not grumble about the state of it.It does present an arduous climb up carrying a pack or canoe.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

i like that expression "cantaloupe-sized rocks"! we saw quite a few of those on the gervais road as well, (though i'm sure its like the 401 compared to twinkle) so i second ed's caveats about the back roads.
in a way it's great to be able to access these areas for a trip of a few days, rather than taking a week or more just to get there (and a week back)!
on another thread someone says that with low water at gervais landing, you can now drive a malibu all the way to scarecrow lake. these roads can seem awfully convenient and all that, but (let's face it) their existence is not positive for the future of the backcountry in those areas-- whether it's hunting pressure, logging, or just a massive expansion of the so-called "rumble lakes".
as with so many other things in life, convenience comes with a high price.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1106

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 7:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

What grncnu says about the roads is correct. But you have to remember that the Gervais road was recently re-opened and upgraded to facilitate logging in the area.The loggers usually come in take their approved cuts and then leave for another 50 or so years. For many years previously, the road was pretty much not useable except for some ATV traffic. It will not take long before it deteriorates and starts to grow over again. The opportunity to drive your family car up there will diminish.
There is not much we can do about existing logging roads that have been left open to the public.
What we can do is lobby for any new ones to be closed to public travel as soon as the loggers have completed their cut. If we don't do that we will definitely lose our wilderness areas much faster.
 Link to this message

762x39

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We camp up red Squirrel Rd a lot and don't find hunters to be much of an issue if you get off the path a bit. As far as the comment about guns, testosterone and booze and medi-vacs, those generalizations piss Katherine and I off (yes I hunt and yes she fishes).

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home