Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 3, 2012 * Thistle Fire Tower < Previous Next >

Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 307

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 8:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anyone know about the fire tower near Island Lake (aka Thistle Lake)? Where is it? Still standing? Is there a trail? And is it really being moved to Field?

http://ontarioftl.bravehost.com/stillstanding.html
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 62

Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Curly,
I am quite familiar with it, having been up there years ago. You need to take the Island Lake Road about half way and there is a little turn off to the right after driving down a hill where a big swamp is. You cannot drive the road to the right unless you have an ATV, so the walk will be about 30 minutes. Stay to the right all the way and you will see it once you come to a clearing. There is no longer a ladder as it was removed for safety reasons, the floor up top is no longer safe with boards breaking thru. There was talk a year or so back of it being dismantled and put up as a visitor site in Field but have not heard that recently. I go up there every couple of years. We have a great view of the tower from the mountain behind our cottage where our ancestors ashes are. Quite the view. Let me know if you want to know anything else Curly.

(Message edited by bigwolf on November 20, 2011)
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 314

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks!!!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home