Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * Motorboat Restrictions? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

dgpile

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 8:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Are there areas in the Temagami region where motors are restricted? Haven't tripped through the area since '02 and am curious if, for example, Obabika River Prov Park is motor free or has limited HP. I called the Finlayson Park number and left a message but the office was closed so I don't know if it is closed for the off season or just short term. Thanks,

Jester
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1375

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Without looking it up, I think the only motorboat restrictions are in the wilderness park. Someone may be able to add to this.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 310

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Majority of LESPP is non-motorized, though there are pockets where they are allowed, sometimes with HP restrictions, sometimes not. Wakimika Lake is the only major lake outside the wilderness park which is non motorized. dgpile, if you have a specific area in mind, I could give you a better answer. I just did some research on this
 Link to this message

dgpile

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the feedback. Someone pointed me to the map showing "rumble" lakes ( http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Canoeing/motorb oat-lakes.htm )which indicates that the Obabika River PP which includes much of Lady Evelyn Lake is open to motors. On previous trips we have not encountered much noise paddling across LEL when doing the Maple Mtn Loop or paddling the lower portion from Diamond north and then to the portages over to Willow Island. So if that map is still accurate, noise intrusion is a roll of the dice.
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 7:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Noise and other impacts from motorboats can be a frustration sometimes on both Diamond Lake and Lady Evelyn. All the more so in spring fishing season. If it's a big lake not located in the wilderness park, chances are there are going to be some motorboats....and come to think of it (reading above) even in the wilderness park there are certain lakes with motorboats allowed.
Still, most of the canoeing areas in LESWPP offer a silent and motor free experience. (such as Lady Evelyn River).
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 311

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 1:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are two spots on LEL which have restrictions: Chris Willis bog (the big swampy area west of Sucker Gut Lake) is a NO MOTORS zone. Second, the western bay of Sucker Gut (aka Betty's Hole) is restricted to 25 hp. This is that part where Frank's Falls flows in.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home