Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * ALERT-Missing Person * Archive through November 23, 2011 < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ronin

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 3:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Could somebody use Maple mtn observation tower one more time ... for a day or two... with good optics, watching the land around for a smoke from Dan's hideout?
 Link to this message

waabaanakwad

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 4:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We have hiked the old growth trails from the ceremony site to spirit rock, and boated up to Wakimika, hiked the portage to red squirrel, checked old trappers cabin, hunters cabin, checked bays, and watched for smoke and tracks consistently.

We wanted so bad to find him chopping wood at a camp. At one point we were certain we saw smoke and headed anxiously over to shore only to realize it was an illusion.

We continue to remain hopeful and prayerful

in love
don wright
 Link to this message

bob_s

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 7:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, my name is Bob Steffler. My roomate Rob and I spent a few hours exploring/hiking with Dan around Spirit rock the day after the changing of the seasons 2011. My memory is drawing blanks as to the place names he mentioned, but he claimed to have discovered some rock formations which he described as "tomb-like" which he wanted to explore some more. I believe he said they were on a hike he did on or near either Maple mountain or Ishpatina.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1114

Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 8:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Bob_s that is going to get some of us thinking. That is new to me, but some of us here must know what this might mean.
Ed.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 312

Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Temagami First Nation should be asked if they can share their cultural values information with the OPP. Maybe they already have, I know the Bear Island Police are involved. But those maps contain information on sites of spiritual significance, including perhaps caves or tombs. Maybe Craig MacDonald could also be of some assistance, he knows many of the sacred sites, knows their Anishnabe names and significance. He shared his research with the TFN, and keeps it in confidence. Certainly the TFN would not consent to having the information shared widely, but perhaps it can be of use to the OPP.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 9:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Bob, we wondered what Daniel was up to after the ceremony, he didn't arrive home until Oct. 3rd. Like I said before, any and all info is helpful in putting this jigsaw puzzle together. He did visit Maple Mtn in the summer, but never made it to the ridge. If you think of anything else, let us know.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

For those of you looking for an update last night, I appologize (I fell asleep, finally). My sister had a great dinner tonight for us and family, including my brother and family. She also gave me sh-- for no update last night, so tonight we are comforted to have so many people pulling together to find Daniel, what an abundance of support.

Also, we are so deeply appreciative of Alex and Don for going above and beyond this past weekend in checking out various potential spots where Daniel may be hunkered down.

Continue to keep your ideas coming, I like the idea of Maple Mtn observation, but the weather may prevent it. We're leaving it to the OPP, who are also going above and beyond to find our son.

Don and I will rest a little more easy tonight knowing everyone is doing everything humanly possible and spiritualy through the bounty of prayers to find our son safe and sound. And I promise, a daily update, I do not want to create anxiety for anyone.
 Link to this message

ronin

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 4:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rock formations which he described as "tomb-like" are located on a portage P23 between small lake Pee-jee-gig-gonay at the south end of Lady E. lake and L.E. river
 Link to this message

bob_s

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 9:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

From what we remember the name of the guy in the purple shirt playing guitar at the changing of the seasons ceremony was "Ron". We hiked with Ron, Michael and Dan to shish-kong lake. We left Ron and Michael (they headed back to camp), and we hiked with Dan on the upper trail that looks out over shish-kong lake with a view towards maple mountain and ishpetina. Dan seemed very fixated on the spiritual significance of these high points. This is also when he mentioned the tomb like rock formations. The three of us continued hiking beyond the end of the ridge trail heading north(bushwacking). At some point
Dan left us to go back to camp. When we met up with him again the following day, we mentioned that we had found some very large old growth trees beyond the end of the trail where we were exploring. Perhaps Dan might have had interest to see some of these trees and to explore that area more. From left to right in the photo below is Bob, Michael, Ron, and Dan at the south end portage of shish-kong lake. Hopefully this might help.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 317

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I contacted Ron (the guitar player )
He had no info.

I have also contacted others that were at the gathering that weekend.
No info.
 Link to this message

animawoody

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is an old trapper's camp in towards Annima-Nip its the road to the right at mile 13 on the red squirrel. Then take a left at the first y in that road. It's approx 4 to 5 km's in that trail then take a trail to the right. It's a cabin on the Snare Creek
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1115

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Animawoody:
That looks to be only about 15 KM from Red Squirrel Lake where Daniel's car was found and it is walkable.

Edit:
Actually, I am wrong. Daniel's car was located at the parking area for Wanapitei camp and the portage down to Sandy Inlet.So it would add on about another 7 km.Still doable at ~22 km.
 Link to this message

ronin

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 3:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

assuming he's got no canoe is wrong
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1116

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would agree. There are lot's of canoes out there laying around, that could be used.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 313

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I can't imagine that he'd be east of his car. He basically drove as far west as you can go. If he was east, he would have driven.
 Link to this message

60s_windshifter

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 6:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm so far removed in both space & time that my comments can't possibly carry any significant weight.

That said, my heart goes out to Daniel's family, and I sincerely wish the best outcome to Daniel's disappearance.
He looks & sounds like a wonderful young man, with a solid grip on the beautiful & spiritual Temagami region that also held me for several years in my youth.

David Modine

Link to this message

animawoody

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 9:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'll be arriving home from work tomorrow(tues) afternoon and will be heading up to my camp on wednesday morning. I'll check out the Trapper's cabin on Snare Creek to make sure Daniel's not there. When I get back to my camp, I'll text my wife and get her to post an update on this forum.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Update: The OPP resumed searching with the chopper last night, checking on the most recent areas identified, many discussed in this blog. Even though they did not locate any sign of Daniel, there are some more good leads on this blog today, being investigated. For Don and I, every piece of information is appreciated and we truly believe, through everyone's help, together we will find him.

Daniel has a great respect and love for nature and soaked up the teachings of the native beliefs. He befriended Alex Mathias as well as many others in Temagami, learning so much in his personal journey this past summer.

The beauty, tranquility and spirituality within Temagami (or is that Timagami) and its people has captured the hearts of many, including our son's.

Tomorrow brings renewed hope, we continue to pray for Daniel's safety.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

animawoody, just read your post, you must have sent it while I was writing my update. We are grateful for you going out of your way to check the trapper's cabin on Snare Creek, every lead is hope.
 Link to this message

lost_canoe

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello Maureen and Don,

My wife and I were at the Changing of the Seasons. Though I did not get a chance to meet Daniel, I wish I would have. I have checked with my friends who also attended but they have no info about Daniel, sorry.

Our paddling community is great. A lot of these folks here on this site are now good friends of mine. But more than that, we're like a big family. We all worry when someone is hurt or missing. Even if we have not met, we're ready to help anyway we can and that for sure includes Daniel. I'm one of many who checks this post daily for updates and the eventual good news that he is found safe. Lots of good people helping, that's awesome!!

I was thinking about this today and wondered if there has been any banking activities on accounts or credit cards?

Our thoughts are always with you. Stay strong.

Mike
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 8:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lost canoe: thanks for your concerns, everyone we have had the pleasue of meetng via this site is amazing, this is a very special community. Hopefully you will meet Daniel some day. Yes,
we have checked banking and phone records. People like you give us continued hope, we are truly blessed.
 Link to this message

bob_s

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello Maureen and Don

Just a clarification of our previous posting. The ridge trail that i was refering to is the trail that runs along the east side (along the upper cliff or ridge) of shish-kong lake and is directly east and above the "spirit rock". the trail actually ends before you are able to see or get close to the spirit rock, and bushwacking is required. A thorough ground search of the areas and trails around the "spirit rock" might be in order.

It would seem to me that the closest and fastest way to get to the "spirit rock" area would be to park your vehicle on the red squirrel lake road by camp wanapetei and to canoe from there. or without a canoe one might think to hike west along the logging road (past the blocked gate) all the way to Bob Lake with the idea of bushwacking south to shish-kong lake and the "spirit rock". I not sure if this route is at all possible or hike-able (others on this forum might know) but maybe it should be considered.

Our thoughts are with you.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Update: Every day is a "Brand New Day". In reveiwing their site, Five: "Give assistance and kindness wherever needed" jumped out. We reflect and take comfort in the fact that every person contributing on this blog, is practising this exceptionally well. Tomorrow is a brand new day, and another day of hope for finding Daniel.
 Link to this message

ronin

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is a small cabin at the mouth of Red Squirrel Lake where R.S. river starts...was it checked?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1118

Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 7:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ronin:
I haven't been through Red Squirrel in some time, but is that the cabin on the island ahead of the river entrance? It suddenly appeared in about the mid 1970's. But it must be on MNR's LUP list which would have been reviewed with the police search manager.

Bob-S:
I am pretty sure you can get to Shish Kong the way you suggest.If Daniel is on a spiritual mission, then Shish Kong is the biggest draw in the area.It was the place where a number of Anishnabi from across Canada and the USA held a vision quest in the late 1990's. For several years following, the remnants of the cloth articles they left remained tied to trees along the upper pathways on the trail overlooking Obabika Lake.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home