Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * Early Season trip to Ishpatina and Area < Previous Next >

Link to this message

onr1737

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, December 6, 2011 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey guys, could you help me out here? I'm planning a canoe trip with my buddy were both 18 and novice but fit guys and an option that I had thought of would be to go sometime in May from Lady Dufferin-Smoothwater-Scarecrow, and possibly either on the way back or on the way to the ridge a one day side trip to sunnywater Lake.

My main questions are, what would the water levels be like? Whens approz Ice out? When does the bug season seem to start? Condition of Scarecrow creek in May and if its even worth considering? Side trip to Sunnywater.

Let me know what you guys can, I'd really appreciate it.

p.s. If you have any other similar type routes that you would recommend in May in the Temagami area, with relative easy access, feel free to let me know.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, December 7, 2011 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

last year ice out was may 9th. water levels will be at their highest but this wouldn't affect your proposed route much unless you decided to do the "spring only" section of scarecrow creek, which is definitely worth considering, or wanted to expand your trip (smoothwater- apex- s. lady evelyn- n. lady evelyn- gamble- sunnywater- smoothwater) which is also a spring-only trip because of low water levels on the s.l.e. in the summer.
there might be a week or 10 days of blackfly-free days but by late may they are in full force.
 Link to this message

onr1737

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, December 7, 2011 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thats an interesting route extension, but to be honest I don't know if we woould be ready for that haha. But its good to know about the bugs and ice out and stuff. Have as anyone ever done the Scarecrow creek in the spring? And approx. how long would it take to get to Sunnywater from Smoothwater?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, December 7, 2011 - 7:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

have not done the creek but suspect it would be ok in the spring. smoothwater to sunnywater is a couple of hours if single-portaging. the long portage before sunnywater has steep uphill sections along a cascading creek, and is one of the more technically-challenging portages in temagami in my opinion. don't be put off though as footing is generally good, although i haven't done it in may. might be worth scouting first in may in case it has special challenges or hasn't been cleared.
 Link to this message

onr1737

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, December 7, 2011 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

good to know, whats the campsite like on Sunnywater? Is the lake really as clear as they say it is? haha.
Oh and if there are any other cool side trips in that close area, any u could recommend?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, December 8, 2011 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

the campsite is on the west side and is very good. yes, it really is that clear! if the water is still, in the right light conditions, you can paddle out to the middle of the lake and see big logs on the bottom looking like tiny matchsticks.
on scarecrow lake you can go over to the south east side and check out the scarecrow cut which is a very narrow steep-sided valley along an old faultline.
 Link to this message

onr1737

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, December 8, 2011 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

excellent ideas, thanks alot for your help. :-)
 Link to this message

onr1737

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, December 8, 2011 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

oh and whats the fishing like in that area?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, December 8, 2011 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

sorry we don't fish. the whole area is in the wilderness park but i have no idea if that means restrictions.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 333

Posted on Thursday, December 8, 2011 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Only restrictions are what ever you find in the Ontario fishing regs for Zone 11 under exemptions.
 Link to this message

onr1737

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 - 7:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks, yeah that makes sense

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home