Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Chiniguchi Canoe Area < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, July 4, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Have been reading with interest Mr. Back's posting of the Chiniguchi area on Ottertooth.

As this is an area located off the "Canoeing in the Temagami Area" maps, could anyone offer any suggestions as to a good map source and suggested route for a 7-8 day excursion. It looks like you could easily do a circle route in this area... but are the lakes all interconnected or is there alot of portaging and walking on trails???

We are 4 hardy treckers that truly love the North, canoeing and experiencing new vistas... but alas, all of us are now past the age of 50 and looking for (semi-easy) new waters to explore.

Brian... continued thanks for the insight and labor of love you show to keep this site current and informational.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 328

Posted on Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

gudwulf:
The routes in this area are described in Hap Wilson's book on page 128 as route
#23"Wolf Lake and Laura Lake Routes. For info on the book go to :
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Wilson/sneak.ht m

Lots of portages though.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 583

Posted on Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gudwulf, you are welcome.
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed... thanks for the info... how 'bout the portages? Lots of up and over or pretty much ~
straigh ahead and "keep it level"? Brian... have you done this as a loop and what is the time-frame?
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gudwulf
Some of the ports are fairly easy and straightforward but some are of the up and over variety and fairly long. Did this route May 2005 in 5 days but there's lots of ways to stretch it out to more liesurely pace. Some spectacular scenery, lakes, old growth pines, history etc. One of my fav trips.
Sid
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 330

Posted on Thursday, July 6, 2006 - 7:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gudwulf:
Canoedog has posted his trip on his website.
http://canoedog.ca/trips/chiniguchilaurasolo.asp

complete with pictures and a well written description.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 585

Posted on Thursday, July 6, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

canoedog, Chiniguchi has a number of routes. Not sure you and the posters are necessarily referring to the same ones. Most people doing something through Wolf. Others go to Chiniguchi and others continue through the Evelyn Lake route back to Matagamasi. None of these have the ruggedness associated with the tougher areas of Temagami. I have been on all the routes, except the one through Kukagami.
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, July 7, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, gentlemen. You guys are awesome. Thanks for the personal email, canoedog.

A creed for paddler's all... "I lose and find myself in the long water. I am gathered together once more." ~Theodore Roethke~

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home