Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Three nights ending in South Arm < Previous Next >

Link to this message

scooter

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

First time poster.
I would appreciate some advice on a short three day trip winding up in the South Arm. Looks like a few choices:
A. Mine Road access - Shining Wood Bay - Olier, Denedus and Wasaksina Lakes - Portage into Cross Lake and out to South Arm.
B. Town site (we are using Temagami Outfitters, I hope) - some small annoying portages into Iceland Lake and then Driftwood Lake to Wasaksina, etc.
Thanks to all who respond. Open to other suggestions as well but we do have to wind up in the South Arm.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 587

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you are starting at the end of the Northeast Arm you don't have a lot of choices. There are far more people on Lake Temagami, so if you are looking for a little quiet, or something quieter, heading through Iceland is your best bet.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 52

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If it's just a short 3 day trip, I would not start at the town site (Temagami) but at the Mine landing (or Manitou Landing ) to save a lot of paddling (15 miles of Northeast Arm). With the time you have, why not just paddle on Lake Temagami and doing the Temagami Island trail and then continue down to South Arm. You don't say where in the South Arm you're going, just that you have to end up there. There are many sites and bays you could explore along the way.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 78

Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you are renting from Dean at Temagami Outfitters he could also run you somewhere on the lake to save you some time to expore other things. As the new owner of Temagami Outfitters he is offering a water taxi service and I believe his rate is $10 a mile for his Stanley 150HP "barge".
 Link to this message

lal

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 7:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Temagami outfitters charges 12 per mile and gives very good service.
 Link to this message

smallmouth

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would go with your Option A. Nice little trip. The fishing is pretty good and the campsites too. That's probably the best direction to take too given the wind can blow hard south and west on Temagami. High rock is a nice short climb and lookout at the entrance to shiningwood bay.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home