Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * North arm of the Lady Evelyn advice request < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have 5 days in Temagami with a friend. We have been recommended the north arm of the Lady Evelyn river as a "classic route" from Lake Florence back to Temagami town via Lady Evelyn lake.

We canoed in Temagami last year but with a group. What concerns me is safety. We have rented a sat phone and both have GPS but looking at the maps we have here in the UK which are not the greatest, I can see rapids and waterfalls marked as well as many portages. I intend to get the best maps I can when we arrive but some input now would be appreciated. i.e. are 5 days enough, should we even try with just 1 boat.

Last year we did 10 portages with the longest being 1km and stayed out for 8 days so we're not total novices but we are new to white water.

In the 2 weeks prior to this we will be down on the Dumoine and Coulonge rivers getting some Canadian white water experience. Again in a group.

Link to this message

Post Number: 169

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Welcome back to Temagami.

I dont think that you will have a problem with the trip that you are planning?
It sounds like you are/will be well prepared.
Buy some better maps online to assist in the planning process or maybe someone else here can direct you to online map sources.

When are you planning to do the trip?
How many paddlers in your Temagami group?

Link to this message

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 6:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The whitewater you will see on the Dumoine and Coulonge Rivers will make the whitewater on the Lady Evelyn River look like swifts (the stuff you can shoot anyway). Very beatiful trip. Have fun.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Kim

We start on the 25th of August for 5 days, there will be just 2 of us and 1 canoe.

Last year we had 10 people with 5 boats and no white water. Two of the group were instructors so we had a large comfort zone. This year with just one canoe we are being a lot more cautious.

Thanks pine_sap for the comment on the Dumoine and Coulonge that helps me get a perspective on Lady Evelyn.

I canít wait to get back to Temagami, last year was incredible, great weather, northern lights, wolves howling the works. We just don't have the wilderness like you here in the UK.

I just remembered Google earth. The river from Florence to Sucker gut is in hi-res. You can actually see the rapids! Amazing.

Thanks guys I have more confidence now.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home