Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Pinetorch CR & goulard road < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pap

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Next week I'm leaving for a 2 week trip in temagami. As a part of that trip, I am planning to paddle and portage from wakamika to hortense, up nasmith creek, to pinetorch and then up ames creek to florence. I was wondering about the condition of ames creek and nasmith creek with the water levels. Anyone been trough lately? Any other comments? (yes I've read on CCR about the hard portages, but I'll give it a shot)
I am planning to use the central temagami access, but goulard road is pretty tempting as it would cut out the paddling on lake temagami which I don't find that interesting. I've read the past threads and the info on the site about the road, but I'm wondering if anyone as been down it this year?
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 110

Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi pap,

The Goulard Rd access via the Obabika~Wawiagama portage is quite rough, though many still access here using all types of vehicles. It is better suited for trucks and vehicles with higher ground clearance.

It is a long slog from Sturgeon Falls to the parking area in front of the gate, appox. 2-3 hours, most of that on the last leg past Emerald Lake.

I would definately consider it, as it sets you right in the back country, maybe 1-2 days ahead of the Mine Rd option.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home