Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * 1 night on Lake Temagami-seeking advice < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mjb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm hoping someone will hit me with the "realistic bus" and help me out here! I would like to camp for 1 night on Lake Temagami on the long weekend of August (Sat. Aug.5) and I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to find an available campsite. I'll be putting in at the end of the Temagami access road (just East of Temagami Island at 1:00pm latest (coming from Peterborough) and head north west towards Kokoko Bay. Is it likely that a campsite will still be available? I really want to avoid staying at Finlayson P.P.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 53

Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Campsites should still be available especially if you portage over the 290m P into Kokoko Lake or go to Spawning Bay and portage there to get away from crowds and motor boats
 Link to this message

mjb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 7:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks otter_mel! From what I have read online, I was thinking of stopping at Temagami Island on the way back (Sun. Aug.6) to hike on the old growth trails - is it worth it?
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 170

Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The old growth trails on Temagami Island are definatley worth checking out.
Only takes a couple of hours to walk the trails.
Huge trees in there.
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 68

Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

mjb
As Kim has said, the trails are certainly worth the effort.....bring your camera along. When we did the trails 3 years ago, we somehow missed a turn along the way completing the loop, and had to double back along the trail to our starting point. There are some nice campsites on Temagami Island too.
 Link to this message

mjb

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks to all for your advice!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home