Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Red Sqirrel Access Road < Previous Next >

Link to this message

vince

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

With a fire ban in place for Quetico, we are considering Temagami as an alternative for our 3 generation (4 adults, kids age 10,12,14) 7 day trip. 2 years ago we put in at Mowat landing because we heard that Red Squirrel road was pretty rough. We are now looking at the Wakamika/Obabika loop, as we were aborted in that attempt 6 years ago due to intestinal issues with a four year old!! I only see reference to the Mine Rd. access not Red Squirrel. How far in can one get with a Honda Odyssey van? Any other route recommendations for a fairly relaxed pace, flexible trip which realistically may be the last major outing for my parents (77 and 78) with 50+ years of tripping behind them.
What a great forum to discover!
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 108

Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Red Squirrel Rd is fine. The worst is the last half kilometer to the parking lot for Sandy Bay.
Red Squirrel Rd is wide enough but the rolling curves on gravel keeps your speed down. Depending on when the last maintenace was done wash board will be pain in the buttox.
It is approx. 30 Klicks to the turn to Sandy Bay from Hwy 11, it should take you 45 minutes to get in and park your ride.

Choose your portage out of Sandy Bay in consideration of winds. Nepoleans portage is closer but longer and steeper than Pickeral Bay which is very level.
 Link to this message

mushrooms1

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I agree. Red Squirrel is easy. BUT.....If it has been raining like crazy...I would look into it. Other than that...it's easy s**t.
 Link to this message

vince

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the input. The fire ban is lifted for now, so it looks like we will still head west, west, west... and hope that we will be able to enjoy that painful feeling of smoke in the eyes while cooking blueberry pancakes!!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home