Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Six Day Solo Trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

heilbron

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 2, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on a six day solo trip for September. I'm a reasonably experienced flat water tripper, but have only done one solo trip before. I'm not looking for anything demanding in terms of big water or white water. I am looking for beauty and isolation--and recognize that the latter may require some extensive portaging. That's fine with me. Any thought you might have would be very much appreciated.

best,

Elliott
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 331

Posted on Thursday, August 3, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Elliott:
It is pretty hard to fit in an isolated trip in 6 days unless you are in a position to fly in somewhere.For example you could fly into Florence and paddle out through Pinetorch CR, Wakimika, Obabika and back to the Central Access Road on Temagami.
Or you could consider leaving from Ferguson Bay (Sandy Inlet) and paddling through to Whitefish Bay, Aston, Cole, Turner, Eagle, Little Eagle, Whitewater, Anima Nipissing, Red Squirrel and back to Ferguson Bay.In mid September this later route would be pretty quiet and doubtful that you would see anyone once you went past Aston.You might see people on Anima Nip. and Red Squirrel.
The water levels may be low on the Eagle River and require some extra portaging in that area.

Others here may have some thoughts as well.
 Link to this message

heilbron

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 5, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for your advice, Ed. If I follow your second suggestion, is there a road into Ferguson Bay (Sandy Inlet) and parking?

Best,

Elliott
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 332

Posted on Sunday, August 6, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Elliott:
goto:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las_sandy.htm

for details at Sandy Inlet.This is mostly route #9, on page 78, as described in Hap Wilson's newer trip book.

Ed.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home